Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Be a Woman of the World

I keep expecting to find another page in my planner that says "September," but it's not there. I started the month by reflecting on relationships like a woman and her God, her kids, her church, her husband, her parents, her boss, and her friends. We've only scratched the surface! But if a woman only nurtures the relationships nearest to her, she runs the risk of becoming cold.

If a woman's life has been changed by a relationship with Jesus Christ as her Savior, then her relationships with people look different.

Luke 6:32-33 If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' love those who love them. And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' do that.

The heart of a woman can't help but turn outward when God is the Lord of her heart and mind. She isn't meant to only turn her focus inward, circle the wagons, and isolate herself. She is meant to impact her immediate "world" and her global "world" with the love of Christ demonstrated through her.

Romans 13:8-9 Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for he who loves his fellowman has fulfilled the law. The commandments ... are summed up in this one rule: "Love your neighbor as yourself."

In a world full of hurting people and injustice, women who lift their eyes from their own table, cubicle, car line, and planner are needed to bring Christ to those longing to know abundant life and peace. It's easy to get "uber-focused" on MY day and MY stuff and MY work and MY family and MY plans, ignoring the needs of the world. I'm inspired by stories of women who have lifted their eyes and reached out.


Camille is passionate about women facing unexpected pregnancies and families in need around her locally. A young woman in her 20's, she dedicates herself to supporting her local crisis pregnancy center and helping families struggling in the difficult economy. She's taken a business she is part of ( Baby Jar ) and used it to highlight the needs of unwed mothers and at risk families, putting $ where her heart is by donating part of their profits to relieving need. Camille looked around where she lives and saw needs right in her own area, thought about her resources, and decided to offer her energies to ministering the love of Christ to others. Very simply, she says their "mission and vision is to make a difference in and around our area here in ** Florida – bestowing upon those families and individuals tangible and spiritual blessings."


Becky is uniquely prepared and gifted to be a partner, advocate, and voice for vulnerable women and children globally. She established WAR International for Women at Risk, "Creating safe places for women and children rescued from many abuses including human trafficking/sexual slavery ... to give voice to their silenced cries." She has creatively and passionately stepped in to educate people like me and you about those we may be tempted to try not to think about. Le t's faced it; it's ugly information, and it can be overwhelming. How can I help from where I live? You can read about this ministry started by a woman who let herself love the world for Jesus. This weekend there is even a chance to join her in a weekend of fasting and prayer. And as you shop for the holidays, WAR offers gifts made by and in support of vulnerable populations. This is a beautiful picture of how one woman is relating to her world and being used to change lives as the messenger of Jesus' love. It is love in ACTION.


I am crazy about my family, and it's easy to devote my time and attention and energy to loving them. Some days are more "high maintenance" than others. ;) But there's a world beyond our walls, and our relationships would be rather shallow, and not much like those of Jesus Christ, if we failed to look up from our group hug and reach out to our world, locally and globally.

How does the world look from where you live? Locally? Globally? Do you know a woman who is relating the love of Christ to the world beyond herself?


5 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT:

Jess said...

This seems to be all I can think about/read about this week!!!! Thanks Julie! :)

MaryJoy said...

Oh yes!!!! This is SO important and one of my favorite topics to talk about!!! God has given us the special gifts He has to nurture and bring other folks we meet close to Him so that they can get to know Him too. Looking outside of our little circle of friends may be hard for some...including me on some days (in person but in blogland it seems so much easier for me, silly huh?). Thank you for your comment on Monday's post. I am glad that I was able to give you something to ponder in your ministry. What she did, did help me to step out of my comfort zone though. :) And that has blessed me even though it was very difficult. God bless you for bringing up such a great topic and one that seems to be difficult for a lot of folks!

Alisa Hope Wager said...

Thank you for the inspiring words! I appreciate this line, "In a world full of hurting people and injustice, women who lift their eyes from their own table, cubicle, car line, and planner are needed to bring Christ to those longing to know abundant life and peace." It can be difficult to find extra time but God wouldn't require it if it was impossible. Great post Julie!

Cindy Bultema said...

Amen! Amen! What a powerful post, Julie ~ I think this is my new favorite post from you! Thank you for sharing!! I so appreciate all that you have to say!!
Blessings to you!!
Cindy :)

Stephanie Shott said...

Awesome post, Julie! It's so easy to get focused on our own little corner of the world and forget that there's so much more.

And can I just say that I love the fact that you used the word "uber"! I love using that word for some reason! I feel even more connected to then I already did. (I'm now cracking myself up!)

Love ya!