Thursday, September 9, 2010

This is what a godly mom looks like

In September I've been considering key relationships in a woman's life. We've really just gotten started, but so far we've talked about how we relate to our God, our church, and our kids. Of course we've talked about husbands on Marriage Monday.

I wanted to reflect on parents and started thinking about what God's Word says ... they are to be obeyed, we leave them if we marry, they are to train children, and our lives are extended if we honor them ... & so much more. But then I received this tribute following the day when an 87 lady (I mean that = "lady") of our church family went to heaven. Martha's daughter reflected on her mom's life and graciously agreed to let me share her words. It says so beautifully what a godly mom looks like; this is the kind of mom I hope I am becoming. Let this be our reflection on being a parent God's way ...


My Tribute to Mom

For as long as I can remember, people have told me I look like my mom. I’m not sure I always appreciated it, but I love to hear it now! I take it as a real compliment and it inspires me. She was a beautiful woman—inside as well as outside and the best Godly role model I could ever have. If you’ve known, her for even a little time, I think you’ll understand.

Mom was first and above all things a lover of Jesus. He was her savior, her friend, her strength, her comfort, her reason for living. In the front of one of her favorite Bibles from years ago, The Living Bible, she wrote Acts 20:24. “For life is worth nothing unless I use it for doing the work assigned me by the Lord Jesus—the work of telling others the Good News about God’s mighty kindness and love.” And that’s what she did with her words, but primarily through the way she lived her life.

Mom was a lover of people, because Jesus is a lover of people. Her friendships were countless. Some spanned many years and some were very recent. She was quick to make friends, and her friends were young and old, near and far, from different cultures and similar backgrounds, those who knew Jesus and those who don’t yet know Him. Her heart and passion was that each one would come to know Him as she did. Her heart and her home were always open and they became a refuge for many. She was considered a second mom or adopted sister to more than I’ll ever know.

In recent days, when she could no longer get out and visit with friends, she took to calling and writing notes. I can’t tell you how many trips I took to the mailbox with cards and letters Mom had written—some to folks she’s kept up with for over 60 years!

Mom was an incredible prayer warrior. She fought many battles with her prayers, for those of us she knew and loved and for others she’s now meeting in heaven for the first time. If you’ve ever shared a concern or need with her, you can know she took that to her heavenly Father on your behalf. I’ve found prayer lists she’d written recently and many of your names are on them!

Mom loved God’s Word, and she never grew weary of reading it or hearing it taught. She would often share with us something new she had learned from her personal study or from a Bible teacher on the radio, at church or Bible study. She would always take notes, and I’ve found them everywhere! Lately, she told me she was frustrated in not being able to memorize a passage from Colossians 3 that she was working on. IT says, “As God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience. Bear each other’s burdens showing mercy, because God has been merciful to you…and above all, put on love, which binds you together in perfect unity.” Dave and I were talking about that the other day…We don’t think she needed to memorize it—she lived it!

Knowing Mom, I know she wouldn’t like the attention she’s being given today. She wanted all the glory to go to her Savior and Lord, Jesus Christ. Her desire was that her life be a reflection of the One Who created her and lived within her. I’m confident she is now in His presence, face to face, and she has heard, “Well done, Martha, my good and faithful servant! Welcome Home!”


0 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT: