Have you ever wanted to rescue a child from a clearly toxic mom in Target? Or maybe you've had a moment where you WERE that toxic mom. We all have our moments. Like that time in the Hobby Lobby parking lot ... :) But, hey, God tells us:
Sons are a heritage from the LORD, children a reward from him. Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are sons born in one's youth.
Despite the fact that children are a heritage, a reward, and a handful of arrows, they also leave stretch marks, have numerous bodily fluids, and reveal family secrets at embarrassing moments! I know that my purpose in life is not to be a mother; my purpose in life is to do whatever I do in a way that brings God glory. For me, that includes mothering two children.
I hear a lot of moms today struggle with feeling their kids stress them out, cost a lot, and control their lives. Where's the joy of motherhood from relationships with our kids? I really believe we can do more than love our kids; I believe we can like them.
Let me give you ten ways to raise your kids so you LIKE them:
- find out what the Bible says about children
- learn from what you see in your kids that reveals more about you
- be sure they go to bed and stay in bed (at any age)
- read books together and cuddle (also at any age)
- clap and shout at events they're in
- take pictures of them and display them for the art they are (and ones they make)
- pray for them and give specific praise for their qualities
- laugh at their quirks and forgive their accidents
- listen to their ideas, imaginations, and dreams, and ask questions
- share what you love with them and pass it on
This is just for starters, but it gives you permission to ENJOY your kids. Do more than love them, LIKE them. The relationship with our children is meant to be a joy!
Question: What do you really LIKE about the children in your life?