Friday, September 3, 2010

You Can Like Your Kids

Have you ever wanted to rescue a child from a clearly toxic mom in Target? Or maybe you've had a moment where you WERE that toxic mom. We all have our moments. Like that time in the Hobby Lobby parking lot ... :) But, hey, God tells us:

Psalm 127:3-4

Sons are a heritage from the LORD, children a reward from him. Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are sons born in one's youth.

Despite the fact that children are a heritage, a reward, and a handful of arrows, they also leave stretch marks, have numerous bodily fluids, and reveal family secrets at embarrassing moments! I know that my purpose in life is not to be a mother; my purpose in life is to do whatever I do in a way that brings God glory. For me, that includes mothering two children.


I hear a lot of moms today struggle with feeling their kids stress them out, cost a lot, and control their lives. Where's the joy of motherhood from relationships with our kids? I really believe we can do more than love our kids; I believe we can like them.

Let me give you ten ways to raise your kids so you LIKE them:

  1. find out what the Bible says about children
  2. learn from what you see in your kids that reveals more about you
  3. be sure they go to bed and stay in bed (at any age)
  4. read books together and cuddle (also at any age)
  5. clap and shout at events they're in
  6. take pictures of them and display them for the art they are (and ones they make)
  7. pray for them and give specific praise for their qualities
  8. laugh at their quirks and forgive their accidents
  9. listen to their ideas, imaginations, and dreams, and ask questions
  10. share what you love with them and pass it on

This is just for starters, but it gives you permission to ENJOY your kids. Do more than love them, LIKE them. The relationship with our children is meant to be a joy!

Question: What do you really LIKE about the children in your life?


5 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT:

Susan said...

My child just turned 33 this week. These are just a few of the things I like about him. I also love these things about him. He is wise beyond his years. He is funny and smart. He is caring and devoted. He listens and dosen't just talk. He laughs a lot. He loves God unconditionally. He loves me, even when I don't deserve it. He helps me always...and doesn't fuss. Even if he wasn't my son, I would like this person!

shellthings said...

Love how sweet this post is! I love how my boys will cuddle up with me and tell me they love me.

I don't know if you follow the blogger that I have featured today, but if not, you will love her. Her faith really shines through in her writing and I love how she talks about parenting, too.

Sara said...

I love my children but i must admit there are days when i could strangle them. I have learned that they are never really naughty if they do play up there is generally a reason unlying it all, i just have to find it. x

comfortedbyGod.blogspot.com said...

Carrie @ comfortedbyGod.blogspot.com

Hi, Julie--
I found your blog quite by accident, but Im so glad I stopped by. Your post is very timely in my life. Im partnering with several other facebook friends to spend September in a positive parenting mode. Instead of focusing on all the bad things my kids do (or the good things they dont do), Im trying to praise them for the things they do right. Its taken a little bit of an attitude change for me. Im only one week into it, so Im curious how the Lord will use this exercise.

Keep up the great work on your blog :)

Sharon Kirby said...

Julie,
My children are grown (in their 20's), but they're still my "babies" - always a mother's heart. What I really LIKE about my sons is this - in their own unique ways, these possess these qualities: They are thoughtful, caring, wise young men. They love God, they love people. They have a desire to "leave good footprints" in the world (their words). They have good values, they want to stand up for God and His truth. They are both very funny, and very smart. They both tolerate their mother!!! I am proud of them both, for their creative accomplishments, and for their character. Are they perfect - no, not at all - I think they inherited that from me!!! But, if they weren't my sons, I would pick them to be my friends. But in a wonderful stroke of God's grace, they are BOTH my children and my friends!!
God bless you, Julie - in God's strength, mother your kids well. This will indeed bring Him glory!