Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Tasty Tuesday ... Dessert Crepes

Saturday I made crepes for 15 & 16 yr old girls, and they loved them. Crepes are so easy to make, require few ingredients, and look fancy despite their simplicity. Strangely, it makes me start using all of the French words I remember from my years of high school French class.

For the girls I made basic crepes (recipe below), and then gave them a choice of blueberries, strawberries, Nutella, and whipped cream to fill/top their crepe. I think the filling possibilities are many: bananas, nuts, peanut butter, applesauce, jam, apple pie filling, pudding ... to name a few. You can also do main dish crepes or breakfast crepes filled with sausage, shredded chicken salad, ground beef, etc. Very fun.

I got my recipe from my red Betty Crocker recipe binder, but if you don't have one (STILL love hard copy recipe books!) I'll give it to you here:

  • 1 1/2 c. flour
  • 1 T. sugar
  • 1/2 t. baking powder
  • 1/2 t. salt
  • 2 C. milk
  • 2 T. margarine or butter, melted
  • 1/2 t. vanilla
  • 2 eggs

Mix the dry ingredients and then stir in the remaining. Beat it until it's smooth, but I couldn't eliminate all the lumps. No one complained. :) I sprayed my 8 inch no-stick (are they ever really NO-STICK?) pan with cooking spray and heated it over medium heat. Pour only 1/4 c batter into the pan and give it a gentle "swirl" to coat the bottom of the pan. Don't be afraid. It isn't complicated. Let it cook just a short time until it isn't glossy, and then use a spatula to run it around the edges and flip it to cook on the other side for just a few seconds. (Sometimes I only cook on 1 side until cooked through) The crepes are THIN and should not be thick, so resist the urge to turn this into a pancake. Then it's a pancake, not a crepe.

Stack them as you make them, separating them with wax paper or foil ( I was out of wax paper) until ready to serve. Fill one at a time and top with whipped cream or powdered sugar or a drizzle of Nutella (Did I say I love Nutella?)

This makes about 13, but consider the first one your practice crepe. :)

This is one of those foods that encourages conversation. The girls lingered around the island in the kitchen, deciding how to fill their crepes, watching me cook, and asking questions about how to make them. Conversation is one of the benefits of cooking together and of eating interesting foods. Some people think teens won't talk to adults, but maybe they haven't made crepes. :)


Tomorrow ... we'll talk about another relationship in a woman's life. Until then, make crepes!


Thanks to Jen and Lisa for hosting Tasty Tuesday and Tempt My Tummy Tuesday!

1 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT:

KirstinMarie said...

Yum~ We love crepes too and make them regularly!!