Friday, January 27, 2012

Life Off Line: 5 Ways to be sure to pray


Today you can find me over at The MOM Initiative posting about Parenting out of the Pit of Addiction.

Today is also the official merger day of Scripture Dig and Do Not Depart. I'm excited to be "going along" as part of the Do Not Depart contributor team. Right now our Bible study together is called Run to Him and is based on various Psalms. This week we read Psalm 4, and 2 phrases got my attention in my real Life Off Line: 
  • "Answer me when I call, O God of my righteousness!" v. 1
  • "the Lord hears when I call to him." v. 3
The "when I call" repetition grabbed me, because it's so easy to be so caught up with so many things that I just fail to call. .... Kid appointments. Work demands. Laundry loads. Physical weakness. People pressure. Legitimate needs. I can get caught up in all the "doing" and in attempting to work out my own answers that I leave out "when I call."  

5 Ways to be sure I call:
  1. Get up a little earlier or stay up a little later
  2. Find a place to be alone (when all else fails, the bathroom ...)
  3. Sit still and think about God (the car works!)
  4. Open my Bible and pray back His words
  5. Use a simple prayer journal to keep me focused
Next week I'll wrap up the Life Off Line focus, but I will never cease to need to stop and call on the Lord. He will hear and answer ... when I call. 
Other topics you might want to read from our Life Off Line series:





6 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT:

Lisa notes said...

I love your list of 5 ways to to be sure I call. They all are helpful. I want it to grow more and more natural that God is the first one I want to tell something to.

Caroline @UnderGod'sMightyHand said...

Ooh, I love that list of 5 ways to call, as well. Especially number 4: "Open my Bible and pray back His words." Praying His Words with a sincere heart are a great way to truly call out to Him! Thanks, Julie.

Julie_Sanders said...

Yes, for some reason we put a lot of pressure on ourselves to find the "right words," but God's words are right there for us to use! Julie Sanders
www.comehaveapeace.blogspot.com


________________________________
From: Disqus <>
To: jeffjulmission@yahoo.com
Sent: Friday, January 27, 2012 4:11 PM
Subject: [comehaveapeace] Re: Come Have a Peace


Disqus generic email template

Julie_Sanders said...

I'm with you Lisa! Too often, my first impulse is to share with my husband or a girlfriend, but God wants and needs to be first! Julie Sanders
www.comehaveapeace.blogspot.com


________________________________
From: Disqus <>
To: jeffjulmission@yahoo.com
Sent: Friday, January 27, 2012 3:55 PM
Subject: [comehaveapeace] Re: Come Have a Peace


Disqus generic email template

Short Bible Studies said...

This is a great list!  I love the bathroom and car ideas!  haha!

Julie_Sanders said...

I like to think of that as redeeming the time! :)


Julie Sanders
www.comehaveapeace.blogspot.com


________________________________
From: Disqus <>
To: jeffjulmission@yahoo.com
Sent: Tuesday, January 31, 2012 11:12 AM
Subject: [comehaveapeace] Re: Come Have a Peace


Disqus generic email template