Monday, January 23, 2012

Marriage Mondays: How do you do w/mess?

What makes you hard to live with? Are you afraid to go there? Even more afraid to ask someone else? It's not easy to face our "ugly spots;" we tend to want to cover up or stuff them. Real love doesn't back away from a mess.

Ignore the messy closet,
Photo credit Flickr ~ Grace and Lily
I've been stuffing for the last six years.  In my closet. It's one of the ways I get a lot done. :) It's part of the "messy" in my Life Off Line. I just "stuff it" in there to deal with later. You can imagine where that got me! And can I say here that I fully intended to take a picture and show you, but it didn't happen, because ...

My Jeff really loves me, and he knew I needed help with my mess. He took his Saturday afternoon to tackle my mess. First he told me to keep in mind that anything to follow wasn't personal, a reflection on my worth as a person (he had a trash bag in hand), or his love for me. :) You may remember that when he helped with my pantry, I didn't respond with total grace. :/  So while I grabbed a Diet Dr. Pepper, he started emptying my vault. My first thought:  "Wow! I can pack a lot of stuff in a closet!"

It's hard enough to call a mess what it is, whether it's a closet, a habit, or a circumstance we've made, but it's harder to tackle  the mountain alone. Don't get me wrong; I'm not a candidate for "Hoarders," but that might only be because Jeff doesn't back off from a mess. A working friend is a blessing, and in marriage a spouse that will get dirty and make our mess their own is truly a gift. It's a timeless truth that, "Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their labor" (Eccl. 4:9). 
  • Knowing we have to tackle a mess alone often keeps us from tackling it at all. 
  • Our husbands are blessed when we allow them the privilege of meeting a need, lifting our load, and being our knight in shining closet organization. 
  • They are helped when we come alongside them to help tackle their mountains with an attitude of humility and love, instead of criticism or belittling. 
  • They don't want to see us standing in front of them with a trash bag in hand and a glimmer in our eye!

My closet wasn't my only mess, but it was a big one. I'll bet you have a mess somewhere. It may not be the shape of a closet. It may be habit-shaped or attitude-shaped or heart-shaped; whatever the shape of your mess or your husband's, real love won't back away. 


Today's Life Off Line Challenge:
- Ask God to show you an area in your life that needs to be addressed, instead of overlooked.
- Ask your husband if there's anything in his life that would be a relief to have help to take care of ... and then change your schedule to be his helper.

8 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT:

Shay said...

Love this! Hubby and I just tackled some messes in our house together last night after the kids went to bed - and no one was grouchy...quite an accomplishment for us! ;) Lots of prayer helps!

Julie_Sanders said...

Good for you! And doesn't it feel good to clean up "life" together? :) Julie Sanders
www.comehaveapeace.blogspot.com


________________________________
From: Disqus <>
To: jeffjulmission@yahoo.com
Sent: Monday, January 23, 2012 12:27 PM
Subject: [comehaveapeace] Re: Come Have a Peace


Disqus generic email template

Sharon O said...

That looks like MY closet, organized to a point.
It that a child on the top shelf? wow
My goal this year is to reorganize and make better use of the closet.
Wish me luck. 

Julie_Sanders said...

It IS a child ... but that's not my closet. Remember that Jeff dove into the clean out before I thought to do a "before" shot. ;) I had to go to Flickr for this one. Not surprisingly, there were LOTS of "messy closet" shots, so we aren't alone! :) Julie Sanders
www.comehaveapeace.blogspot.com


________________________________
From: Disqus <>
To: jeffjulmission@yahoo.com
Sent: Monday, January 23, 2012 3:58 PM
Subject: [comehaveapeace] Re: Come Have a Peace


Disqus generic email template

Sunshine for the Soul said...

ah, so sweet.
i have a mess, in my makeup drawer...does that count? :)

Rach said...

Real love doesn't back away from a mess....that phrase will stick with me today. Thank you. I think you will understand all the meaning in that. It is a good phrase to hear today. Love you! Appreciate you and these blogs. 

Julie_Sanders said...

And praying for you and those around you. The bigger the "mess," the harder it is, but don't back away. Love and prayers to you! Julie Sanders
www.comehaveapeace.blogspot.com


________________________________
From: Disqus <>
To: jeffjulmission@yahoo.com
Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 4:34 AM
Subject: [comehaveapeace] Re: Come Have a Peace


Disqus generic email template

Julie_Sanders said...

It does ... and I do too, but Jeff's not really the one to help me there. ;) Maybe having a mess there is my "daily reminder" to focus on being inwardly beautiful! Maybe .... someday I post a picture of my drawer. :) Julie Sanders
www.comehaveapeace.blogspot.com


________________________________
From: Disqus <>
To: jeffjulmission@yahoo.com
Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 1:24 AM
Subject: [comehaveapeace] Re: Come Have a Peace


Disqus generic email template