Thursday, November 3, 2011

Covenant #7 - Into heaven itself

I've wondered if readers ever catch the word "Covenant" in a blog title and hit "delete" because it seems to "Old Testament-ish" and "theological." I know you don't have time to waste, and I know you're probably like me in that you want to know what difference something makes to your life. That's not a bad thing.

This week's study focused on Hebrews 7-10 and how Jesus has acted as our high priest in the New Covenant that is better than the Old one, enacted in heavenly places instead of earthly ones, and done once for all instead of needing to be done over and over. It's heavy in "what difference does it make," but let me tell you one difference it's making to me ... today.


This past week has been a quiet one for me. My old voice ghost has haunted me, and I've been wrestling with the Lord over it. Doesn't He know how hard this is? Doesn't He understand how frustrating this is? Can't He relate to being weak and wanting to break free of its confines? You don't have to have a voice to whine.


I know from Hebrews 4 that my "high priest" DOES sympathize with my human feelings, because as part of the Covenant relationship we share, He became what I am ... flesh. Before I took on His identity, He took on mine. He agreed to make my hardships His own, while I was glad to make His glories mine. Our adversity? My voice struggle? He gets it.


But is He doing anything about it? When we're crying out (me silently, you aloud) or waiting for His provision, is He acting? God may be silent, but He is not still.


Our high priest, unlike earthly ones who enter rooms made by men and keep going back over and over, acted on my behalf and then sat down. He didn't sit down as if no longer involved, but because He finished making the one-time sacrifice; then He sat down with the right to represent us before His Father.

"For Christ did not enter a holy place made with hands, a mere copy of the true one, but into heaven itself, not to appear in the presence of God for us ..." Heb. 9:24. 

This week Jeff talked to my mom (& dr & kids & friends) on my behalf. Ministry partner & friend Karen called about event details for me. Friend Tara called the doctor for me. The kids answered the phone for me. Sometimes I need someone to "be the voice" for me. We ALL need someone to "be the voice" in heaven for us, and our Great High Priest is doing that.


He made a one-time sacrifice that brought us into a relationship with Him, then He sat down beside His Father in heaven, and He's appearing there for us now.


Maybe it IS theological with ancient roots, but it gives me peace for where I am today.  Just think ... Jesus entered heaven itself as our priest, offered Himself as the sacrifice, and is there right now FOR US.  That should leave us all speechless.

Let's take a minute to stop and say thank you for that kind of relationship - a Covenant relationship!

1 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT:

Delia said...

I am most definitely grateful.
Glad the other "voices" are there for you when needed as well. :)