Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Tasty Tuesday ... Deviled Eggs, Choc Nests

Don't let the name scare you ;) I make these often, usually starting around Easter and all through summer. The first batch came out last week, and the family was asking for more! It just seems like they fit so well with grilled food and summer fare. They're not hard to make. Be sure to read through the recipe for Deviled Eggs and see the fun idea from we used at Serenity Shelter last night.


Deviled Eggs (To make 24 pcs)

12 hard cooked eggs (see my method below)
1/2 c. mayo (I like to use light)
1 t. onion powder
1 t. dijon mustard (honestly, I add more than this)
1/8 t. pepper, salt, and ground red pepper (each)

  • I boil the eggs this way:  Put eggs into a pan of room temp water, covered with water.
  • Bring the water to a rolling boil and then set the timer for 5 minutes.
  • Boil on a full boil for 5 minutes, then turn off the water and let them sit in the hot water for 13 minutes.
  • Pour off the hot water and cover with cold water to stop the cooking. Let them completely cool.
  • When you start to peel an egg, start with the "seat" of the egg (the widest end), and gently tap to crack the sides. Run a little cold water over it to help with the peeling and then carefully pat dry.

  • Slice eggs in half lengthwise and scoop out the yolk.
  • Mash the yolk with the mayo, mustard, and spices. 

  • Spoon the mixture into a ziploc style bag and snip off the end (faster than getting out the fancy stuff)
  • Pipe cream into each egg half. 
  • Use paprika on top by TAPPING, not shaking (this really is key) a little paprika over each egg. 
  • Voila! Chill them until you're ready to eat. Beautiful and ready to be loved. :)




Chocolate Spring Nests

Last night I went to the Serenity Shelter for women, and among other things, we had fun making these simple, fun, and yummy Easter treats.  All you need is chocolate (white or dark), stick pretzels, peeps, and egg shaped jelly beans or m&ms. 

Break the pretzels in half, mix well with chocolate and form a small "nest" on waxed paper. Clean your fingers before you touch your peep. :) Place a peep in the center, along with a few "eggs."  You can also drizzle a little white chocolate around the nest, but we did think that looked a little like ..... well, too realistic. ;)  Place the nest in the freezer for about 5-10 minutes, and peel back the wax paper. SO CUTE!

This would make a cute decoration for the table or small gift.  Kids would really enjoy it. This is not original with me.  I saw it somewhere in the past month and can't remember where.  I want to say the Family Fun magazine ....


Spring is a great time to pull out some distinctively "springy" recipes.  And how about Easter dinner?  Hot cross buns at my house. :)

Happy Tasty Tuesday!

12 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT:

Traci said...

Love the cute little Easter nest girl! Love, Traci @ Ordinary Inspirations http://www.ordinaryinspirations.blogspot.com

Kristi Stephens said...

Our family loves deviled eggs, or as the kids call them "fancy eggs." :) Sometimes I sneak some cauliflower puree into the egg yolks for a little extra veggies! :)

Julie_Sanders said...

Oh, you are such a sneaky/good mommy. :)  When we lived in Asia, our friends called them "angel eggs."  They just didn't think it was right to call them "deviled."  ;)

Julie Sanders www.comehaveapeace.blogspot.com

Heidi Pocketbook said...

Love the idea for the nests--something fun my teen and I can make together and that she can enjoy! Thanks for sharing that, Julie.

Morgan Maria I said...

Your deviled eggs sound yummy! And the chocolate spring nests are adorable! Have a blessed Easter my friend!

Orosco99 said...

Jul, I'm going to try your boiled egg steps - mine always are terrible to peel! Also, the chocolate for the nests - is it like chocolate chips? or a different kind of chocolate? Thanks for the ideas and very thorough "steps" as you know I need that :-) Love you, Jenny

Julie_Sanders said...

The chocolate I used was in "cubes" in a tray.  Sometimes it's called "bark."  You can also get the chocolate in little "discs" at a place like a craft store.  I think chocolate chips would work, too. Let me know how it goes. ;)

Julie Sanders www.comehaveapeace.blogspot.com

Julie_Sanders said...

Yes, definitely a great "do together" project. Enjoy!

Julie Sanders www.comehaveapeace.blogspot.com

Heidi Pocketbook said...

Chocolate chips will do as well--we'll be using 365 brand from Whole Foods. That's of the regular chocolate--we'll have to skip the white chocolate drizzle.

Julie_Sanders said...

Thanks for sharing the option. That answers Jenny's question!

Julie Sanders www.comehaveapeace.blogspot.com

Chrissy Sanders said...

Love it! Deviled eggs are on my easter "to do" list as well and I think I will try your boiling method. The bird's nests are adorable.......hmmm, perhaps a project for the girls. Thanks!

Mary said...

These recipes look great. When I was a child my Grandmama would make deviled eggs every Easter. This brings back wonderful memories. I know my kids would love the Chocolate spring nests. Can't wait to make it with them. Thanks for tempting my taste buds :). - Mary