Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Tasty Tuesday ... Johniemachetta!


Remember church cookbooks? I've got some favorite recipes from one called "Feeding the Flock." :) This recipe makes a lot, which is great, because it's perfect for freezing or sharing. It's an excellent dish for a crowd. I serve it with Italian bread and a salad, and I've made a few adjustments to the original to suit my family's taste.




Johniemachetta
  • 4 lbs. ground beef
  • 1 lg. onion, chopped
  • 2 stalks celery, chopped
  • 2 lg. green peppers, chopped
  • 2 sm. cans sliced mushrooms
  • 1 32 oz can of tomato sauce
  • 28 oz spaghetti sauce
  • 2 cans water chestnuts
  • 24 oz. small egg noodles
  • 1 small block of Velveeta cheese
  • 2 c. shredded cheese (I like to use Colby Jack here)
  • a little salt & pepper
  • a pinch of red pepper
  • Brown ground beef with onion, celery, green pepper. Drain. In a large mixing bowl (I split it and do 2 batches.) Cook the egg noodles and drain. Combine ground beef/veggies, tomato/spaghetti sauces, cooked noodles, mushrooms, and water chestnuts. Mix all together. 
  • Spray 3 casserole dishes. (I use 2 ovals and 1 round)  Layer 1/3 of the mixture in the dishes, a layer of Velveeta cheese slices, 1/3 mixture, layer of cheese, 1/3 mixture, layer of cheese, topped with the shredded cheese. 
  • Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Reduce heat to 200 degrees and bake another house. Cover with foil if the top is browning too much. 
I love knowing I have a pan of Johniemachetta in my freezer. If you want to freeze it, completely make it up and freeze before baking. Just thaw and bake for dinner when you're ready!  This is one of those homey casseroles, from my old church cookbook splattered with the evidence of years of learning, experimenting, flopping, trying again, hosting, and enjoying. :)  I hope you'll enjoy our Johniemachetta!

2 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT:

Pamela Seay said...

I've heard of Johnny Marzetti but not this. Sounds good. I like those freezer meals as well. This recipe would make several. Or one to keep and one to give away.

Julie_Sanders said...

Now I'm curious ... you'll have to share Johnny Marzetti!

Julie Sanders www.comehaveapeace.blogspot.com