Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Tasty Tuesday ... Thomas Turkey

This past weekend was full to overflowing with evidence of God's movement in and around my life. I'm going to TRY to share some pics and thoughts tomorrow, but honestly I just don't know where to start. I'll pray for the Lord to give me a good starting place between now and then. :) My heart is full, but I'm catching up on some of what I ignored to prep for the weekend ... so I'm going to pull from last year's Thanksgiving prep and share my favorite Turkey Trick.

If you don't have rosemary, no worries ... you can also use celery leaves, but the darker and more distinct the shape, the better. Here's how to take turkey from a plain Tom turkey to a beautiful "Thomas" turkey!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have two huge bunches of rosemary growing on my front hill. If local friends need rosemary to try this trick to making your turkey BEAUTIFUL, just stop by ... I share. :)


Start by preparing the turkey according to the directions in the package or in a dependable cookbook. Do you know that Butterball has a Turkey Talk-Line at 1-800-BUTTERBALL? Or ... click here to get tips from the experts. Just be sure not to skip removing the bag of giblets and "spare parts" from the front AND back of the turkey.






Before you brush the skin with butter or oil and season it, carefully lift the breast skin and use a small knife or kitchen shears to snip the membrane underneath. Use your hands to gently push along the breast, releasing the skin without piercing it. If you've had a manicure gals, don't despair. I actually think this might count for an organic skin treatment. :)




Snip fresh rosemary if you have some. I like to snip it right above a branch, as it encourages new growth. Gently wash rosemary & dry.



Take a sprig of rosemary about the length of the breast and gently tuck the herb spray under the skin. You will see it slightly show through the skin. Insert one on each side and one in the center.




Brush the turkey with melted butter or oil, then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover with a foil tent until about 30 min. are remaining, then uncover and allow the turkey to brown. I sometimes turn it up to 400 degrees for the last few minutes to give it a crisp brown finish.




The rosemary shows through beautifully and will surprise the guests in your kitchen and at your table. It will infuse your turkey and your home with the fresh smell of aromatic herbs.

2 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT:

audra dorsey said...

Beautiful...that is, Handsome Thomas!

audra dorsey said...

that comment was from thebellamella.com ....I was logged in under my daughter. oops.