Monday, November 16, 2009

Tasty Tuesday ~ Beautiful Turkey Trick

I am so thankful that my herb garden is still as happy as can be. I have two huge bunches of rosemary growing on my front hill. If any of my local friends need rosemary to try this trick to making your turkey BEAUTIFUL, just stop by ... I share. :)

This is a simple way to guarantee your turkey will LOOK as impressive as it tastes. Your guests will rave. Let me show you the easy steps.

Start by preparing the turkey according to the directions in the package or in a dependable cookbook. Do you know that Butterball has a Turkey Talk-Line at 1-800-288-8372? Or ... click here to read about how you can get tips from the experts. Just be sure not to skip the step of removing the bag of giblets and "spare parts" (not spare if you're a turkey) from the front AND back of the turkey. This is if you are not using a wild turkey, which is a whole different bag of feathers!

Before you brush the skin with butter or oil and season it, carefully lift the breast skin and use a small knife or kitchen shears to snip the membrane underneath.


After that, use your hands to gently push along the breast, releasing the skin without piercing it. If you've had a manicure gals, don't despair. I actually think this might count for an organic skin treatment. :) Maybe .....

Snip fresh rosemary if you have access to it. I like to snip it right above a branch, as it encourages new growth. Gently wash the rosemary and pat dry.

Take a sprig of rosemary about the length of the breast and gently tuck the herb spray under the skin. You will see it slightly show through the skin. Insert one on each side and one in the center.

Brush the turkey with melted butter or oil, then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover with a foil tent until about 30 min. are remaining, then uncover and allow the turkey to brown. I sometimes turn it up to 400 degrees for the last few minutes to give it a crisp brown finish.

The rosemary shows through beautifully and will surprise the guests in your kitchen and at your table. It will infuse your turkey and your home with the fresh smell of aromatic herbs.

Voila! You are a chef. :) Enjoy!

Participating in Tasty Tuesday and Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, hosted by two great blogging gals. I've found some awesome recipes on their blog carnivals. Thanks Jen and Lisa!

14 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!!!! Maybe you'll do that "in person" on Clatterbuck for Thanksgiving :-) We'd all be very impressed with you AND the turkey! Love, JLC

Kristi_runwatch said...

Gorgeous - I must confess that I have a phobia about touching raw meat. I hate it. I have to remove the bag of "goodies" with tongs and try my best to not touch it... so the thought of running my hands beneath the skin is sorta freaking me out. THIS is why I didn't finish my biology minor - zoology was entirely too much dissection! ;)

Unknown said...

Sounds so yummy thanks for sharing this tip!

Unknown said...

I looked everywhere for the giblets in the first turkey I ever cooked. I finally gave up and assured my hubby that THIS turkey didn't have any. After roasting we found the giblets still in the bag in the end of the turkey I did not search. We still laugh about it. Much more recently, I cooked the turkey upside down. I just wasn't thinking clearly. I felt very foolish, but my son in law was sweet enough to say it was the best turkey ever.

Julie@comehaveapeace said...

Oooo, I love these turkey "confessions". We don't usually share these in Thanksgiving lore. :) Kristi, tongs work, too ... or rubber gloves. :) And I think there are also other reasons you didn't finish biology/zoology.

Judy, I LOVE your confessions and can share a few of my own. The wonderful thing about turkey is that it's hard to wreck. And giblets still add flavor from inside the bird ... have learned that same lesson. :)

Bridgette said...

Cooking the turkey breast side down is actually how I do it! You end up with much juicier breast meat because they are naturally basted throughout the cooking process. Beautiful bird!

Unknown said...

Beautiful turkey! Great tips, too!

Blessings!
Gail

Courtney (Women Living Well) said...

Great tip with the Rosemary and look how pretty your final turkey was - wow!!!

I am cooking my turkey in my sister's roaster this year - my sister says it will be juicer...I'm trusting her :-)!
Courtney

Julie@comehaveapeace said...

I've never had a roaster, so I always "make do" with a big pan and foil. Maybe I'll see if my sister has one, too, Courtney. :)

Bridgette, love the idea of cooking breast side down. I'm sure that makes it so moist.

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

Great idea! Thanks for sharing.

From the Old InkWell said...

Beautiful and tasty too, I'm sure!

Brenda said...

I love this idea. Rosemary smells so delicous.

MadeInCanarias said...

Your turkey looks so delicious! Thanks for the tips!

Unknown said...

GREAT!!! tip with the rosemary.
Geri