Monday, July 19, 2010

Marriage Mondays ~ Romance & Reality

Welcome to Marriage Mondays where I'm glad to have Maria Morgan guest posting for me while I am doing some exciting things with my hubby (more on that later). Maria blogs at Life Lessons where I appreciate how she uses the familiar things of life to point to God's truth. She is an inspirational/devotional writer who regularly contributes to Around About Cumming. She lives in Georgia with her husband and daughter, two dogs and a cat. :) You can read her Life Lessons at www.mariaimorgan.blogspot.com.



I remember the scene as if it were yesterday. My boyfriend, down on one knee, asking the life-changing question, "Will you marry me?" I didn't hesitate to give him my response, "Yes!" In the space of just a few moments, my status changed. I was transformed from a young lady who was single, to one pledged to marry the man of her dreams. Not something I took lightly.

Sparkling in the sunlight, my beautiful engagement ring indicated that I was spoken for and would soon share my life with the one who had placed it on my finger. How romantic! But along with the romance came the reality. Life is difficult. A successful marriage would require hard work. Thankfully we had the tried and true 'marriage handbook', the Bible.

For both of us, submission would play an important role. The book of Ephesians gives us a refreshing look at this often misunderstood topic. The Apostle Paul spells it out, "Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God" (Ephesians 5:21; KJV). Simply put, the act of submitting is putting yourself under the other person's authority. In today's society, where we're taught to stand up for our rights, this concept is hard to swallow. But in a home where both spouses love the Lord, submission becomes less of an issue, since each is concerned for the happiness of the other.

Each time I begin drifting toward the world's view of submission, I have to check myself against the example of Christ, "Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross" (Philippians 2:5-8). Now that's submission! Jesus proved His love for us, by becoming a servant and giving His life for the sins of mankind. Talk about amazing love! When I have the mind of Christ, I am able to look beyond myself and meet the needs of my husband.

Love is another key component of a successful marriage. For over twenty years I've been blessed with a man who epitomizes Ephesians 5:25, "Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it." Following a car accident several years ago, I struggled with a pretty severe case of anxiety and depression. My husband supported me through all of my ups and downs. He was there to help me make sense of what I was going through. He rearranged his schedule to accommodate mine, and prayed for me diligently. Although I know he's not perfect, he has demonstrated unconditional love for me time and time again.

Marriage. Instituted by God Himself. A husband and wife working together as a team, to bring more honor and glory to God than they could as individuals. Look to the Bible and allow God to make your marriage a success!


If you would like to add to what is shared about God's perspective today on Marriage Mondays, feel free to link up below. Praying for you and your marriage as you read today ...



12 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT:

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for the privilege of guest posting on your site today, Julie! You're a sweetheart and your blog is a blessing to me. Praying for you and your husband as you work for Him this week! God bless!

Crystal Roberts said...

I really enjoyed this post! Brought back memories of my own engagement and how important it is to love and submit, thank you so much for sharing this!

Warren Baldwin said...

Good to see you guest posting over here, Maria. Good article!

Nic said...

Very good post! How your husband treats you is very much in line with my post on this today. He seems to have the 1 Cor 13 husband down pat pretty well. :-)

Jill Kemerer said...

Submission and trust go hand in hand, and our current culture nurtures neither. Thank you for this timely post!

Robyn Campbell said...

Maria! Such an awesome post. I love how you say to look to the Bible. That is where we should spend our days.

You forced me to think of my own hubby and engagement. What a joyous life I have had with him. Thanks for helping me to remember. I love ya Maria. You are a true blessing to my heart. *hugs*

Unknown said...

Crystal - Glad you found the post helpful! I love to hear how the Lord uses His word to encourage others! Have a wonderful week, filled with His blessings!

Warren - Thanks so much for stopping by! I always appreciate your encouraging words. God bless!

Nic - I'm thank God every day for the awesome man He's given me!Thanks for the heads up about your post - I'm looking forward to checking it out! God bless you!

Unknown said...

Jill - Your words are certainly true! Our culture nurtures neither submission nor trust. It's good to know that modeling these characteristics in a marriage can point others to our amazing God! Have a beautiful week!

Robyn - Isn't it wonderful to remember those special times with our spouses?! Sometimes the details of everyday life have a way of keeping us from focusing on what's really important - our relationships, with God and family.

Love you too! You're one special lady! God bless!

Tana said...

My husband and I were just going over what God expects from us in marriage today! This is refreshing to read.

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing a little bit about your marriage with us! Submission is key to making a marriage work even if the world disagrees. I especially loved this line, "Marriage. Instituted by God Himself. A husband and wife working together as a team, to bring more honor and glory to God than they could as individuals." Awesome!

Linda said...

Beautiful post!I have enjoyed being here and thank you for sharing.
Have a blessed day!

Julie@comehaveapeace said...

Maria, thanks so much for guest posting while I was away with my hubby "working together as a team." I so appreciate the words you share that help point us to God's hopes and plans for marriage. We hear a lot of negative, but your positive insights are refreshing. Really glad to have you "here" while I was gone. :)