Thursday, June 3, 2010

Scripture Dig & Throne Time

If you're visiting from Scripture Dig today, welcome! Our team has spent the week introducing ourselves, and today is my day. If you've been there, you've had the chance to meet Teri Lynne, Kristi, and Kathy so far. We're excited about this new site meant to be thirst quencher for those who want to know God and His Word. Next week begins our first theme on Scripture Dig all about "Bible Basics." Until then ...

If summer is so relaxing, why do I feel worn out? Today I'm forcing myself to leave my list of things to do and go sit with my kids at the pool. Despite my best intentions, it looks like rain! Getting rest is hard work. :) Maybe because it isn't technically summer yet ... or maybe it's because I'm falling into the "not at the throne enough" category. Listen to this quote I read last night:

"Today there is new interest in prayer. Books on prayer - new and old - are selling, and sermons on prayer are popular. Despite this, the tide of prayer is very low. In many ways, it has reached a new low, both in the lives of individuals and in the united prayer meetings of our churches ... These days we are suffering from the barrenness of busyness, activity without accomplishment ... God's throne is the busiest place in all the universe because everything centers there. Yet, the lack of prayer on the earth keeps it from operating at full capacity."

~ Armin Gesswein

Nope, that isn't written by a 21st century author, but from 1965. I read it in a little book called "Prayer - The Christian's Number One Secret," recommended by Kay Arthur in her study "Lord, Teach Me to Pray." It seems the struggle to be still and spend time knowing God's Word and responding to Him in prayer is one that spans the ages. If you read some of my story on Scripture Dig today, you know where I grew up and that it wasn't in a place that highly valued knowing God. I really began to experience what it meant to know God through discovering His Word while I was in high school, with nothing but a spiral notebook, a Bible, and a pen. I wasn't even at a coffee shop with wi-fi ;) but I began to learn the wonders of Who God is for myself! I guess you could say I began to know the joy of digging.

Wondering when you're going to get some of those "good vibrations" of summer? Maybe it's a great time to "crack the Book" and go to the "busiest place in all the universe." Where are you going for your R&R?

4 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT:

Joy said...

Definitely going to my bible for a little R&R. I have been doing my best for the last couple of months to actually be still and try to listen to what God is telling me. I know He has plans for me and I feel like I am being called to come kind of ministry, I just want to make sure it is what He wants and not me. Look forward to seeing what God lays on your heart.

Amber Benge said...

Just found your blog and I love it! Thank you for sharing God's Word faithfully! :)

Love and Blessings,
Amber
Strivingfor31.com

Unknown said...

So excited that you're a part of this amazing team!! You are such a great communicator of the truths in God's Word! I know He will use you greatly!!
P.S. Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog today!

Unknown said...

Great post, Julie! Thanks for refocusing us on the importance of prayer and spending time 'digging' in the Word! Summer is a bit of a hectic time with the kids out of school, family vacations, etc. but I can't think of a better time to plan an adventure around God's word! Blessings to you and have a great weekend!