Monday, May 3, 2010

Tasty Tuesday ~ Dutch Babies

I started making Dutch Babies for my Baby not long after we were married. Last Thursday I enjoyed a night out with the newlywed gals in the class Jeff and I co-lead. Look at this awesome group! We met for dinner & Rita's frozen custard & some time to chat it up about married life. They're starting to experiment & find their family fav's. This is one of ours. Dutch Babies (also known as bismarks & German puffed pancakes) are still requested for special days like birthdays. They look "cookbook photo-ish," but are truthfully super easy. It's also rather cheap to make = a bonus! So preheat your oven to 475 degrees & get ready to look life the next Food Network star!

Put 2 T. of butter into a ramekin that is about 3-4 inches wide. I have assorted sizes, so I'll show you 2 options. I have even tripled the recipe & made it in a pie pan, but that's almost out of control impressive and crazy big (try it once - it's fun!), so the individual ramekins are perfect. Put the ramekin (don't you love saying that word?) on a baking sheet and into the oven as it heats and the butter melts.


Ingredients: 1 egg, 1/4 c. milk, 1/4 c. flour, 1/4 t. almond extract (optional)


Beat the egg til it's daffodil colored, then gradually add the rest. Pour batter into the hot butter in the ramekin and put it in the oven to bake for about 12 min (don't peek). It will get BIG and puffed and golden, and then it will sink a little, so don't feel like you've failed when it falls. ;)


Serve it right away. Definitely sprinkle powdered sugar on it, but also think about adding:

blueberries, raspberries, toasted almonds, coconut, warm applesauce, syrup, CHOCOLATE CHIPS (my fav), or whipped cream.


Serve it in the ramekin. Goes really well served with bacon or sausage and a side dish of fresh fruit. Sit on the porch and eat this in the morning sun with a friend or loved one, and you will want to take a picture and capture the moment. I promise. :)




I'm linking this today to Tasty Tuesday, Tuesdays at the Table, and Tempt My Tummy Tuesday. :) Thanks for making our tables a little sweeter, girls!


6 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT:

Red Couch Recipes said...

I make this all the time but never in little ramekins! I think they look soooo cute this way! Joni

Chaos Cottage said...

They look yummy! I must try these for my hubby sometime.

Pam

Megan said...

We love to make these, but I haven't done it in ramekins. Very cute!

Julie said...

Hi! I am a Julie, too!! These look so yummy. I will have to try them in ramekins...great idea!!!

Tiffanee said...

I have some ramekins now I actually know something I can make in them. These look so delicious! Thanks for sharing. Now I need to make them for my baby!!

April@The 21st Century Housewife said...

My cousin made these for us once and they were amazing, but she made them a lot bigger - I like the idea of the ramekins! Thank you for sharing it!