Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Home Alone

These are days of sandwiches, staying up late, keeping the porch light on, trying to remember to take out the trash, and much prayer at our house. My hubby is away ... far away. I wondered if I should "announce" that on my blog, but then I decided I would get out my taser to defend myself ;) No ... God took me through that "spooked out place" while we were living in Asia and I was all alone in a city of 13 million (with our 2 kiddos, of course). Throughout the day, I walk by my wooden engraving of "Emmanuel" next to our front door (which could also be used as a weapon ;) ) and remember that I am never alone. I have endless stories of evidence of that in my life!


It's funny how different life is "when the father is away." I have an article pending about that very topic, so this is a great week to put the principles into practice. When Daddy is gone, it's time to "put on our big girl panties" and apply all the father expects of us and has prepared us for. Our faithfulness in living life to honor him, though he's absent, is essential, because he will return ... of this I am sure.


When was the last time you thought about the fact Jesus is going to return? Though He is "absent" we know He is coming back and wants to find we've been faithful. The difference is that I know when Jeff's flight is coming in, and you'd better believe I will knock my kids out of the way to be the first to wrap my arms around him in reunion (AWFUL confession just days before Mothers Day ;) ). I don't know when Jesus is coming back (read 1 Thess. 5:1-10), but I know He is, and I want Him to be delighted with me when He gathers me to Himself and sees how I lived while I waited.


If you want to refresh your memory about what we have to look forward to and what the Father wants while we wait, I would encourage you to take a look at my friend Kristi's series on Revelation. She makes it easy to understand and so applicable. Have I said Revelation is my FAVORITE book of the Bible? It is FULL of hope and love. It's rich, and it will help you keep the Father's certain coming on your mind.


I really can't whine much while my man is gone. It's not like in the days of Hudson Taylor or Amy Carmichael when "GONE" was "GONE." Now I can hope for an email, maybe a Skype moment, maybe a text, and then head to the airport. Woo hoo! But God hasn't left us alone to pine away in His absence; He has given us His Spirit as our Comforter and His Word as His love letter and words of guidance to read daily.


Are you longing for His return? Don't sit here reading my blog! Look here at what Matthew 24 says about the when the Lord returns. He wants us to keep watch. You've got a text message from Him waiting ... ;) It will tide you over until He returns.

9 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT:

Unknown said...

Great post, Julie! Love the analogy of how waiting for your husband's return is similar to waiting for God's return! Both should be with eager expectation - and in the meantime, continue to do those things we should do! I like the visual of the Heavenly Father 'gathering me to Himself." Blessings as we wait!!

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Not many days go by when I don't think about Christ's return. The older I get, the closer I get to home. I've been walking with Jesus my entire life; there's never been a season when I didn't "know" him. With time, that knowing has grown into an all-out pursuit of Jesus. The more I know of him, the more I cast my eyes to the horizon, hoping that today might be the day I catch the revelation of his return.

What a day it will be! Until then, may the peace and presence of Christ be our portion.

Thanks for stopping by the blog.

peace~elaine

Michelle said...

Well, Okay....i won't sit here reading your blog(smile)!

All joking aside, I just love your analogies. God has truly gifted you for that sort of writing.

Have a blessed week with God, your children and your taser!

Anonymous said...

Last Sunday our pastor taught from I Thessalonians 4 & 5 so Jesus' second coming is close on my heart and mind. Can't wait, and hope it's SOON! Thinking of you and the fam right now too! Love, JLC

Michelle said...

Julie,

i normally don't do this, but i had to make another comment!

Without me saying a word about your post, my husband brought this very subject up after supper and proceeded to share all the interactions he had with our church Bible study group he was leading last night!

God is really moving in many people's hearts on getting ready for His return!

Have a blessed week!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful comparison.

Susan

Kristi Stephens said...

Amen and come, Lord Jesus!!! Maybe today - I'd be fine with that! :)

Thanks for the link and the kind words of encouragement - means so much. Revelation is quickly becoming my favorite book, too! :)

Unknown said...

I found your blog through Kristi Stephens. Great post! I look forward to reading more.

Jo Beth said...

Wonderful analogy...loved the "Emmanuel" sign (maybe I need to find one of those for my front door!)...appreciated hearing your heart (20+ years of "I CAN IDENTIFY WITH THIS!"). Would love to read more of your faith-stretching-lessons from the Asia chapter.