Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Poison Ivy that Didn't Happen

I'm consistent. 3 Days after I'm exposed to poison ivy, it comes forth (Ala the resurrection, only not so glorious!). And when it comes ... oh, my, it comes with a vengeance. While in college I had my worst incident ever. I stood in front of a bonfire in which someone had inadvertently thrown some dried poison vines ... crazy college kids. I breathed in the smoke, not knowing it was infecting my nose and ears and scalp and eyes and hands. It was the beginning of awful days that started ... 3 days later. My head turned into a pumpkin sort of thing, and I made a vow to never get near the stuff, no matter the cost.

I was successful until a few years later when I climbed onto a fence to cut some beautiful dried vines that had tiny shriveled berries. I took home reams of vines ... and made my mother-in-law a wreath. :) I did NOT get to give her the wreath, though, because 3 days later I discovered the vine was in the "poison" family.

Since the wreath, I've succeeded in staying "poison free," no small challenge for a gal whose family loves to hike and camp. Then ... a week ago I visited a beautiful old red barn on a perfect spring morning, but there was poison lurking. I thought I was careful enough to avoid contamination, but 3 days later .....


I was standing in front of the mirror with my "Saturday face" on, preparing to transform myself, when the light revealed a red rash all over the right side of my face and neck and into my scalp. I threw on some clothes, told Jeff what was happening, scoffed at his suggestion to "wait and see" (WHAT was the man thinking???? He has obviously forgotten me as pumpkin head!!!) and drove straight to the Minute Clinic.


The sympathetic nurse heard my trauma and gave me a prescription for Prednisone to start as soon as I got home. Within an hour of discovery, the strong treatment was in my body, fighting the toxins. I never became pumpkin head this time! If you looked closely, you could see it still trying to surface for a few days, but when the symptoms of poison in our lives is found and treated immediately, the outbreak of infection is held back. No amount of makeup could've covered it up.

James 1:14-16

But each one is tempted when he is carried away and enticed by his own lust. Then when lust has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and when sin is accomplished, it brings forth death. Do not be deceived, my beloved brethren.


Bless my hubby's heart, but this is one time I'm so glad I didn't listen to him (He seems to have an immunity to poison things!). When we know discover poison in us or in the Body, we don't "wait and see" what will happen. We treat it!!!!! If we wait and let it take hold, the disease that results can be so inflamed, so severe, and so painful that it will take stronger treatment, more time, and more help to reverse it. More healing will have to take place.


Have you looked up close at yourself lately? You know, without any accessories or makeup to cover up our "morning face" or "real" self? Sweet reader, I hope that if you see a "rash," you will not wait and see what it does, but you'll go right at that moment to seek help and healing. Don't wait and see what the sin will do. It will grow. It will infect. Eventually, it will be so obvious that it can't be covered up or ignored. It will make you miserable. Take it from a one-time pumpkin head, it feels so good to beat the poison!

10 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT:

Michelle said...

Wow! i didn't realize someone could get a pumpkin head from poison ivy or that you could get infected by breathing in poison ivy that was burning! I'll have to remember that considering that I am also allergic to it!

This was a great analogy of how sin can so easily poison us if we don't deal with it immediately!

Thanks, Julie

Teri Lynne Underwood said...

What a fabulous parable! I love these kinds of lessons ... and I remember them! Great truth, Julie, and I appreciate your faithfulness to share the hard truths in a loving manner.

Kristi Stephens said...

Good reminder to stand in front of the mirror of the Word each day, asking God to search us and see if there be any rash on our face! :)

Unknown said...

Thanks for this reminder!! It's amazing how quickly sin can sneak into our lives without our realizing it!!

Erin @ Closing Time said...

This post is so powerful! I love it when the Lord uses things from our lives to teach us spiritual principles.

I found your blog via Kristi Stephens. :)

Theresa said...

Amen Kristi!!!!

BARBIE said...

I hope you are doing better. I left you a blog award on my blog. I hope you will stop by and pick it up! Blessings!

Warren Baldwin said...

Ouch! Horrible story (esp the first one) but great application.

When I get poison ivy I scratch like crazy then hold the affected areas under hot running water. I know, probably not very bright, but it seems to work.

Any way, your book suggestion will run this Monday on Family Fountain. Thanks!

Jean thompson said...

Thanks for your pictures.  I thought it must be chiggers, but after seeing your pics I know what I am dealing with.  It is the most annoying thing!  I finally put aloe on it today and it has helped.  I have very sensitive skin and the last time I encountered it was on my left arm and I have two scars to prove it.  It has spread all over my right arm and I am hoping it does not leave a scar.......

Julie_Sanders said...

So sorry :(  In desperate times, I've even used diluted bleach to dry it up.  Try some Ibuprofen with it, too, and read Romans 5:3-5 often. ;)

Julie Sanders www.comehaveapeace.blogspot.com