Monday, April 19, 2010

Tasty Tuesday ~ Scioto Hills PB Bars

Some tastes "take you back" to special places & times; this recipe is just such a recipe. It reminds me of arriving late at night with vans full of teenagers to weekend retreats. We were served pizza & peanut butter bars, & there never seemed to be enough bars. These are addictive in a great way. ;) Hey, it's protein! I hope some of those teens out there who are now grown and baking will enjoy this recipe as a little "blast from our past" that's a keeper for our present. My kids love these ... and my big kid too. ;) If you read Marriage Mondays yesterday and heard about what my hubby did on my awful day, you will know that these bars are a good thing to make when he does things like that. :)

Scioto Hills Peanut Butter Bars

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 pan. (or see my preference below)

Mix until smooth:

  • 1/2 c. margarine/butter
  • 1/2 c. sugar
  • 1/2 c. brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 t. vanilla
  • 1/3 c. peanut butter

Add to the creamed mixture:

  • 1 c. flour
  • 1/2 t. baking soda
  • 1/4 t. salt
  • 1 c. oatmeal






Press the mixture into a greased pan. I actually like to use one that isn't "deep," but more of a jelly roll pan (makes them a little thinner). Bake for approx. 12-15 min. but not til brown.

While baking and then cooling .... mix this amazing icing:

  • 1/8 c. butter, softened
  • 1/4 T. vanilla
  • 2 c. powdered sugar
  • 1/4 c. milk
  • 3/8 c. peanut butter

Mix and spread over the cooled cookies. (You're going to want to save yourself a spoonful just to eat by itself!) Makes about 2 dozen, depending on how you cut them. Have lots of milk or coffee on hand when you eat them, and hide the rest like you would hide vacation money or Christmas gifts ... or they will all go away fast. They make great lunchbox treats or slumber party goodies or youth group retreat arrival food :).

Thanks to Jen for hosting Tasty Tuesday and Lisa for hosting Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, where great recipes get swapped!

12 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT:

Red Couch Recipes said...

These do seem like I have had them before when I was younger. I know I have had the frosting. I will have to put this on my to make list. Joni

marme said...

Sounds amazing....hoping I have enough peanut butter to make this for the family for after school treats tomorrow. Blessings to you Julie, it will be so fun to see where God takes you on that "free" plane ticket this year too.

Unknown said...

Ummm those look sooooo YUMMY!!

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness!! Those look AMAZINGLY yummy!!! Gotta try them for our small group! =)

Joshlin said...

I will be trying this in my home soon. I LOVE peanut butter! This is just the thing for me!

I also wanted to let you know you have an award over at my place. Come on over and get it. http://asavingmomssanity.blogspot.com/2010/04/happy-happy-day.html

Have a blessed day!

Theresa said...

Sounds yummy and I think I have everything I need to make them! Yay!

Kristin said...

Popping over from Tasty Tuesday. I'm definitely going to be making these! Thanks for sharing!

Kristi Stephens said...

Yum!!!!!!

Thanks for the recipe!! I've only been to Scioto Hills once on a work trip... and I believe we were jipped and did not get to try the peanut butter bars. ;) It's time to remedy that...

Beverly said...

OOH I love peanut butter and this sounds delish!

Brenda said...

I've never seen this recipe before but it looks really yummy!

marme said...

Yes, oh so yummy and amazing frozen :) I took some to our volunteer appreciation today at school. Plate was EMPTY :)

Julie@comehaveapeace said...

Yay! I love empty plates. Thanks for letting me go with you to your volunteer appreciation lunch. :)