Friday, April 23, 2010

Busting the QT Busters

Yesterday, I had a sweet time with the Lord early in the morning, before the onslaught of the day swept over me. Today I was swept away without my "full glass" of living water. What made the difference? I can share from my own experience ... being tired from staying up later than usual the night before, an unexpected "glitch" in our morning's plans , a doctor's appt for one of the kids, and a lingering hubby. :) Good things can derail our best intentions. And then there's "not so good things," like the morning I sat down to prayer and discovered the dog had thrown up. :) Satan can pretty much use any of the normal things of life to get us off track. We have our own fleshly tendency to wander. That's why we stepped aside last week aside to talk about some of the top "Quiet Time Busters," and I want to go back and bust the Busters today.

From last week's "Quiet Time" and "Quiet Time's Main 2":

Quiet Time Busters that most often sabotage our best intentions ~
  • time management
  • stress/job concerns
  • sleep
  • guilt
  • children
  • husbands (we extended this to other relationships, too)
  • knowing where to start
  • reasonable expectations
  • computer time
  • distractions
So if God wants us to be in a habit of spending time with Him so we know Him and our relationship stays fresh and sensitive (intimate), does He give us any help to bust these Busters?!?!?!?! I'm so glad you asked. Yes, He does. :)

  • Time - "My times (usual things, events, experiences) are in Your hands; deliver me from my enemies (could this also be the things that seek to control our time?) and those who pursue me." Psalm 31:15
  • Stress/Job - "You will no longer bow down to the work of your hands." Micah 5:13b
  • Sleep - "I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the Lord sustains me." Psalm 3:5
  • Guilt -"Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." Rom. 8:1
  • Children - "Only be careful, and watch yourselves closely so that you do not forget the things your eyes have seen or let them slip from your heart as long as you live. Teach them to your children and to their children after them." Deut. 4:9 (We can't impart what we don't possess.)
  • Husbands - "Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything." Eph. 5:22-24 (Our husband is not our Savior, but we yield to him because OF our Savior. Prov. 31:11-12 show the result of having this in order.)
  • Direction - "Direct my steps by Your word, and let no iniquity have dominion over me." Psalm 119:133
  • Expectations - "Be confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus." Phil. 1:6
  • Technology - "Turn away my eyes from looking at worthless things, and revive me in Your way." Psalm 119:47
  • Distractions - "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." 1 Cor. 10:31

We probably won't find ourselves sitting beside a sun dappled chair in the morning with a humming washer, clean floors, all peaceful relationships, and nowhere to go or no needs to answer. No, life will happen tomorrow like it is happening today. Satan is not very creative, so he'll used the same busters tomorrow that he used today. Traps and temptations in life are inevitable, but they are best met with truth. Praise God His mercies to us are new every morning!

Is there a truth that God uses to pull you away from the busters and to Himself?

4 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT:

BARBIE said...

These are all beautiful scriptures to reflect on. Thank you for sharing this.

Kristi Stephens said...

Well said, Julie!

My hardest hurdle is sleep... I am not really a morning person, and pulling myself out of bed is TOUGH. One of the verses God often brings to my mind as I lay in my bed trying to justify a few more minutes of sleep :) is "Better is one day in your courts than thousands elsewhere!"... which, although it is hard to believe at 6:15am, also includes my bed! Truly, His presence IS sweeter.

Unknown said...

Great, practical truths, Julie! God often uses Psalm 46:10 with me - Be still and know that I am God! I have to purpose in my heart to slow down. Have a great weekend and God bless!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.