Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Summer's Bounty

This is a prime time to enjoy the bounty of summer, and it only gets better from here! There are various Farmers' Markets in our town, and a quick Google search of any area will usually "turn up" (no pun intended :) ) information about ones in your area. Knoxville has a Market downtown on Wednesdays and Saturdays, and I love going down to buy fresh, local produce and to see some of the "flavor" of where I live. A recent trip to the Market sent me home with a fresh basil plant to add to my kitchen garden, a jar of homemade salsa, fresh honey, and some amazingly sweet and fresh snap peas. It also surprised me with the discovery of some local artisans who displayed their wares of jewelery, art, yarn items, and more. I enjoyed this trio of string playing women, watched artists painting, and grew my heart for the people of my City.

Tomorrow's the Market in Knoxville (11 to 2), and I'll be there with my basket to bring home some fresh treats. Here's a glimpse of what you might see, and here's a recipe to enjoy the bounty of the season you may find at your market ... or in your own garden. What's growing where you live? Do you have a favorite market?

Find some other great summer recipes at Blessed With Grace's Tempt My Tummy Tuesday! You can find more at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam's Tasty Tuesday. Bon Appetit!

Summer Squash Salad

  • 4 cups zucchini, in small cubes or julienned
  • 4 cups yellow squash, in small cubes or julienned
  • 1 cup oil
  • 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 2 T. mustard
  • 2 T. fresh parsley or cilantro, chopped finely
  • 1 T. sugar
  • 1 1/2 t. salt
  • 1 t. dill leaves chopped (or dried)
  • 1/2 t. pepper

Toss the veggies together. In a jar, combine and shake remaining ingredients. Pour over veggies. Cover and chill for a couple of hours. Makes about 10 servings.

Blessed with Grace

3 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT:

Brenda said...

Yummm, this is a new recipe for me but it looks really good.

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

This recipe does sound great!! Thanks for participating in Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

This looks wonderful. I love the pics of the market.
Just a tip for linking up with Tasty Tuesday
(or any meme), link directly to the title of this post so that people can find it easier in the weeks to come. :) Then they don't have to search.