Thursday, December 22, 2011

Is there room on your road today?

This girl has got a lot of miles to run today! Trip downtown to women's shelter, errands for sleepover of teen girls at my house tonight, the opposite direction for a music lesson, and time at the funeral of a friend's father. I have my "road" mapped out, and I don't have a lot of room today for the unexpected.

visualbiblealive.com
On Resurrection Sunday two travelers who had followed Jesus were walking on the road to Emmaus, seven miles from Jerusalem. Talking about the unbelievable events they had witnessed, they grieved as they walked. When a stranger approached them, they didn't recognize him, and they expressed unmet hopes. (The whole story is here.)  The stranger was the risen Christ, and since Cleopas and his unnamed companion were "foolish ones and slow of heart to believe" (v.25) He explained everything to them, starting with Moses and the Prophets. I WISH I KNEW WHAT HE SHARED!!!! :)  They still didn't get it. 

When they got to Emmaus, Cleopas and his friend convinced Jesus to stay for dinner; when the Savior blessed the bread and served them ... "their eyes were opened, and they recognized him" (v.31).  Then He vanished.  And though it was night and they had come a long way, they went the seven miles back to Jerusalem to report all that had happened to the others in the group. I bet they were glad that they made room for the unexpected Stranger that day on the Emmaus Road. 

Lord, 
help me not to be in such a hurry, with tunnel vision on my agenda, that I miss YOU coming to open my eyes and enlighten my heart along the way. 

Whatever my road, I will prepare room for You.

1 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT:

Mary Joy Pershing said...

Excellent!  You are so right, Julie!  I am actually working on not getting so occupied with doing things for my family that I forget to really be present to them and to take time to be present with Jesus this Christmas!

Thank you for the very special reminder!

Unwrapping His Grace,

Mary Joy