Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Tasty Tuesday ~ Favorite Pumpkin Bread

I've just been waiting for my calendar to say "fall" so I could make this! My family loves it, which explains why we nearly had to go into negotiations while it cooled on the counter, and 1 out of 3 loaves didn't make it thru the night. I stashed one in the freezer for later and one in an undisclosed location for dinner Tuesday night. :)  I can try ...

I hope you'll enjoy my favorite Pumpkin Bread as much as we do. I'm not sure why, but we love it best when I bake a load or 2 in a round, 1 lb. coffee can. I'm sure to save a can each year just for making this recipe, and it makes for a really pretty presentation when we serve guests ... or ourselves. ;)







Favorite Pumpkin Bread
(Makes 3 round 1 lb loaves or bread pans)

3/4 c. shortening
2 2/3 c. brown sugar
4 eggs
1 small can of pumpkin puree (not pie mix)
2/3 c. water
3 1/2 c. flour
1/2 t. baking powder
2 t. baking soda
1 1/2 t. salt
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. ground cloves





Cream together the shortening and sugar. Add eggs, pumpkin and water; stir well. Stir in dry ingredients, mixing well.



Grease pans well; I like to dust with flour, too. Put equal portions of batter into 3 baking pans or cans. Bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees. Cool well on a wire rack, then slide a sharp knife around edges to loosen. I "shake it" gently on all sides before trying to dump the load out of the can. One can had "leftovers" hanging on inside ... a hovering teenager gobbled up the pieces that fell out. :)



This is so good with a stew, soup, baked potatoes, or just a little soft cream cheese.

It's also really pretty to wrap in a bag with a ribbon on top. It stands up uniquely and makes a great gift to give or a side bread to go with a meal you deliver to a friend.

Enjoy! And happy fall from my kitchen to yours.


What have you been waiting on a new season to bake?

11 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT:

Katie Dotson said...

soo excited to get a little taste =) I roasted two whole pumpkins last night (cut in half, scooped out, laying cut side down in roasting pan with about 1" water) to use for pumpkin pie/bread this fall!! I'm super excited.  See you tonight

Mary@The Calm of His Presence said...

Oh YUMMY!! I can't wait to try this. Last year I found a spiced pumpkin cake recipe that I have been looking forward to making again this fall. I will definitely be trying this. Thanks!!

Karen said...

Julie - it sounds great!~  Do you know how much pumpkin is in a small can?  I have frozen from last year's pumpkins, and I would love to try this tonight!  Thanks for sharing this!

Julie_Sanders said...

It's the 15 oz can, which I think is about 1 3/4 cups of pureed pumpkin. Enjoy!
Julie Sanders
www.comehaveapeace.blogspot.com


________________________________

Julie_Sanders said...

And did you GROW those pumpkins, Katie?  I'm going to have to get you a pair of overalls, you farmer you! Can I request something with your "real" pumpkin at small group sometime?  ;)  See you 2nt.
Julie Sanders
www.comehaveapeace.blogspot.com


________________________________

Cindy Bultema said...

This looks delicious, Julie! I think I have everything on hand ~ so I'm going to try and make it this week. I've never made anything in a coffee can before ~ what fun!
Love to you, dear friend!
Cindy :)

LeAnn Hilemon said...

I have some favorite apple recipes that come out during the fall season. These include apple dumplings, apple rings, apple butter cupcakes (with awesome penuche frosting!). Plus, we have a dessert we enjoy called double delicious bars - it is what we make on October 31 when we watch "Monsters, Inc." (our family tradition). If I can get a coffee can, I will try this recipe... Thanks!

Maria I. Morgan said...

I was just telling my daughter I need to find another recipe that calls for pumpkin - have some left over from another recipe, when I stumbled on yours! Know that I'll be making this later this week! Yumm-o!! Thanks Julie! :)

Julie_Sanders said...

Oh, I'm so glad. I'm just getting out the pumpkin "recipe cards" (some virtual) ... so I'll try to share some of my favorites. My daughter loves it when it's pumpkin baking season. ;)
Julie Sanders
www.comehaveapeace.blogspot.com


________________________________

Julie_Sanders said...

LeAnn, I'll trade you a coffee can for your apple butter cupcake recipe. ;)  I'm serious. :)

Julie_Sanders said...

Love back to you, Chicken Chili queen! ;)