Check out the Come Have a Peace Facebook page to find out the winner of yesterday's giveaway of Lisa Whelchel's book Friendship for Grownups.Yesterday was my actual birthday, and in case you have images in your mind of me sitting in the sun, drinking an awesome cup of coffee in a hand thrown pottery mug while journaling, blogging, writing cards to friends, doodling in my devotional book, meeting a friend for lunch, and then enjoying a leisurely grilled dinner with my sweet husband .... let me dash that picture. :) I admit, that's sort of what I envisioned, but who was I kidding? Let's face it ... Most of life is NOT much like HGTV, Food Network, or Home Extreme Makeover; most of life is full of the "real." In "real life" things happpen, birthday or not. The reality?
- The kids were late leaving for school; I had to fuss at them.
- I didn't really "feel" like praying for them, after fussing at them, before they left, but I did.
- I did 4 loads of laundry and only folded 2.
- Jeff is really sick with all kinds of symptoms, so he slept in the guest room last night.
- Jeff was dizzy, so I drove to the doctor and had to park in Kansas. (not really)
- I ate a Special K bar for breakfast on the way to the dr.
- The lady at the desk acted like she didn't believe I was Jeff's wife. :/
- I took Jeff home and went to get all of his meds, etc.
- For my "birthday lunch" I drove thru at McDonald's and got a fish sandwich and a Diet Coke. :) (Don't feel sorry for me; I loved it.)
- I ate while I pushed my cart around Target, waiting for our meds.
- I made dinner, but we all 4 ate at different times.
That's just "real life" birthday sometimes. As I celebrate God's gift of life, this day was full of "life" too. We'll celebrate when my man is better. In the mean time, the Lord gave me lots of blessings and encouragements and kindnesses from family and friends, and I even had a birthday song from 2 little boys in the church hallway. I felt very loved.
I love Psalm 119 because of all it says about God's word. I love acrostic poems, and this one has 22 stanzas for the 22 letters of the Hebrew alphabet.With 176 verses it is the longest chapter in the Bible, including so many nuggets.
- When sending our kids off to school ... "How can a young man keep his way pure? By guarding it according to your word" (v.9)
- In facing temptations of my own ... "I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you" (11).
- On days like today ... "It is good for me that I was afflicted, that I might learn your statutes" (v.71).
- When I wonder what to do ... "Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path" (v.105).
- In what gives me joy ... "Your testimonies are my heritage forever, for they are the joy of my heart" (111).
- For what I believe about God's Word ... "The sum of your word is truth, and every one of your righteous rules endures forever" (v.160).
- When I feel stressed ... "Great peace have those who love your law; nothing can make them stumble" (v.165).
- In thinking of tomorrow ... "Let your hand be ready to help me, for I have chosen your precepts ... Let my soul live and praise you, and let your rules help me" (vv.173,175).
Someday when many more birthdays have passed, I will say to the Lord, "Your statutes have been my songs in the house of my sojourning. I remember your name in the night, O LORD, and keep your law. This blessing has fallen to me, that I have kept your precepts" (vv.54-56).
Today's giveaway is a not valuable in many ways, but it's a love gift from me to you. Hand illustrated scripture cards with some of my favorite Psalm nuggets. To enter today's giveaway, leave a comment telling me about something from the book of Psalms that is a treasure to you.