Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Tasty Tuesday ... Summer Cucumber Salad

 Are you one of those who say you don't like cucumbers? Do you have a loved one who belongs to that group? I think I can make a cucumber-liker out of you with this recipe for a sweet Summer Cucumber Salad!

I got cucumbers from my local farmer's stand yesterday. I used about 4 small ones, but a couple of long cucumbers would do the trick for this recipe, too. The smaller cucumbers have smaller seeds, and that's kind of nice. Otherwise, you might want to take a few seconds and scrape out some of those big cucumber seeds. If not, then chalk it up to you getting more fiber!

(Apologizing now for the dark pics ... since I DROPPED MY CAMERA IN A TOILET ;) I have been blessed by using the cameras of others, and I am trying to get that figured out. :)  )
Summer Cucumber Salad

Slice your cucumbers fairly thin. I like to peel away some of the green skin, so it makes it prettier. You can also use the "tines" of a fork (prongs) to create lines in the cucumber skin before you slice it.
You should get about 3-4 cups of sliced cucumbers.

Mix these 4 things for the dressing:
1 cup mayo (You can use reduced fat mayo, and it's fine.)
1/4 cup sugar (You can substitute Splenda.)
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/4 teaspoon salt

Combine the cucumbers and dressing well, and then chill (the cucumbers AND you!). I like to chill about 6-12 hours. The time gives the vinegar a chance to break down the cucumbers and let the sauce really soak in.

I serve this with things like: Grilled chicken, rice, corn on the cob, grilled venison, grilled zucchini, hamburgers ....

This wants to be on your 4th of July menu!! It's super easy, cheap, and can be made ahead.   Perfect.   NOW you're starting to love cucumbers. ;)

5 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT:

Traci said...

YUMMMM!!!!  <3 it.  Thanks girl.

http://www.ordinaryinspirations.blogspot.com

Love,
Traci

Mary said...

That looks great! I'm the only one in my family that likes cucumbers but, I may have to make it anyway! Thanks.

Mary

Julie_Sanders said...

This could be your chance to get them to like cuc's with you! :) My family isn't crazy about them raw or even in salads, but they love them like this.

Julie Sanders www.comehaveapeace.blogspot.com

Cspoling said...

making it today for a parent/student leadership team dinner tonight!

Julie_Sanders said...

Oh, great!  Enjoy :) Let me know how they like it, and have a great time together.

Julie Sanders www.comehaveapeace.blogspot.com