Thursday, May 26, 2011

When a Path Calls ...

Have you ever looked up to see a path you knew God wanted you to walk? Were you nervous? Did you walk it? Do you wish you had? Last week I looked up and saw a path I knew God wanted me to follow, actually a narrow bridge made of bamboo, stretching across a small stream and framed by bamboo. I followed, and I’m so glad I did.


On the other side sat a family outside of their small house, home to 12 people. Seated on the cement porch was a grandmother, grandma, two daughters, a toddler, and an infant. Without a common language, our “conversation” was limited to smiles and gestures, eye contact and things women understand without words. It was enough. It was sweet. But God had more. 


I called to my national friend, and she joined me over the narrow bridge beyond the bamboo curtains. Crouching beside me, she pulled down the language barrier for us, and I began to hear their names, their stories. The baby girl was only 10 days old, and her young mother was just 19. Despite the heat and humidity, the infant wore a hat and mits on her hands. As you would do, I asked her name.


My friend exchanged several comments with the grandma and the young mother, until I was bursting from curiosity to know what was being said. She turned to me and satisfied my questions: “She has no name yet. They say she was going to receive her name on Sunday. They would like for you to give her a name.”


A name? Me? When I returned to Asia for the first time after many years, I knew my heart was like a funny bone waiting to be bumped, and I was trying hard to protect it. Being asked to give the new little baby her name was more than I was prepared for, and I thought I would dissolve into tears right there on the cement floor. The giving of a name is no small thing, and I knew it was an honor to be asked. 

Proverbs 22: 1,2 ~ A good name is more desirable than great riches; to be esteemed is better than silver or gold. Rich and poor have this in common: The LORD is the Maker of them all. 

I admit …. I was tempted to name her “Julie,” but I resisted. ;)  The baby was born into a poor family, a very poor family, but a “good name” was more important than riches.  It seemed like time stopped as I paused and prayed to ask the Lord for the wisdom to give a “good name … more desirable than great riches.” What name would you have named her? 


In a small village in the mountains of Asia, there is a baby girl, now 17 days old, and tomorrow I’ll tell you the name God put in my heart to give her and how He confirmed it was His choice.

Is there a path before you that you know God wants you to walk?

8 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT:

Traci said...

Beautiful pictures Julie!  <3 ya Traci @ Ordinary Inspirations

http://www.ordinaryinspirations.blogspot.com

Teri Lynne Underwood said...

Oh Julie, what a sweet story ... can't wait to hear the end tomorrow!

Mary said...

Julie, I am in tears reading this :). What a blessing & honor as you follow the path God has set before you.

Warren Baldwin said...

I voted but didn't see anything show up. Hope it registered.

Chrissy said...

Wow, what an unexpected honor!  Can't wait to hear what name was laid on your heart.

Julie_Sanders said...

Thanks Warren! It should just show that the number changes when you click the thumbs up. :) Have been praying for your family and your daughter, in particular.

Julie Sanders www.comehaveapeace.blogspot.com

Julie_Sanders said...

I was in tears, too. :) It was one of those tender mercies from the Lord, and I just think it might be the beginning of something really beautiful.

Julie Sanders www.comehaveapeace.blogspot.com

Melanie Dorsey said...

Very cool. I'll come back to hear the name.