Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Rotten Mamas

I have 2 admissions to make this morning: First, sometimes I don't like Mother's Day.   Second, my dinner last night was a total failure.

I had a meeting in the afternoon that started late and went late, and by the time I got home, the kitchen smelled strange ... The venison roast was a total loss. :(   The family ate leftovers (Jeff was sweet to try the roast anyway), and the dog gets roast today. You only have to experience one ruined roast to know what you DON'T want to do the next time.

And as for Mother's Day, all the talk about how moms influence children sometimes leaves me feeling inadequate, with a long way to go. So this week and next, I want to take the chance to "get to know the rotten roast." Or in Mother's Day terms, let's talk about some "Rotten Mamas" of the Bible. They're in there! We always talk about the ones we want to be like, but I think we learn just as much from the ones "gone bad," the ones we don't want to repeat.

Can you think of a rotten mama in the Bible? Do you know what would make her scowl about Mother's Day? Tomorrow I'm going to share the first of my leading lousy ladies. I wonder if you already know her ....

Fortunately, I'm relieved to say that over-cooking a roast doesn't put you in the "rotten mama" category. ;)  Am I the only mama out there who feels relieved to know that?  And for dinner tonight? Fish.

A truth from God's Word about the influence a mom can have:

But you, Lord, are a compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness. Turn to me and have mercy on me; show your strength in behalf of your servant; save me, because I serve you just as my mother did.
Psalm 86:15-16

I want that to be the prayer my children pray.  You?

4 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT:

Mary said...

Ooo wow, you have my curiosity peaked!

Sandra said...

Love this idea! On my list of rotten mamas- Rebekah and Herodias. Looking forward to your series!!

Writeontarget2 said...

Love this post! Didn't know anyone else felt like I did about Mother's Day! Thanks for the encouragement -- can't wait to see tomorrow's post.

Julie_Sanders said...

We're out there. We just feel too bad to tell about it! :) I think these rotten mamas will be encouraging.

Julie Sanders www.comehaveapeace.blogspot.com