Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Tasty Tuesday ... Creamy Cheese Grits

My Lowcountry Shrimp and Grits!
Even being from Virginia, I didn't always love grits, but this recipe changed all that.


Last weekend when my girlfriend and I went to the beach, I had the most amazing Lowcountry Shrimp and Grits at the Sea Captain Restaurant. AMAZING. Not to mention the hush puppies! Oh my ....


Think you hate grits? Have the Cracker Barrel grits in your mind? Love Cracker Barrel, but no comparison with the grits. Just do me a favor and try these once. It's so easy and has only 4 ingredients. You may just discover your inner Southerner. ;)

So in honor of my recent amazing dinner over grits, I want to share my personal favorite grits recipe with you. I've made this at home for breakfast or as a side dish with supper, and I've even made it while camping. It serves about 10 people, unless you LOVE grits, and then I can't make any promises.


Creamy Cheese Grits (originally from Southern Living)
  • 3 cans of chicken broth (10.5 oz each)
  • 1/2 c. heavy cream (I've also used half n half if I'm sans cream)
  • 1 c. uncooked quick-cooking grits (I like yellow more than white)
  • 2 c. shredded cheese (I like colby jack or a mix of any kind)
Boil the broth and cream together. Stir in the grits. Bring back to a low boil and reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and simmer 5-7 minutes. Stir in the cheese. Cool about 10 minutes before serving. I love that it takes only one pot to make this dish. The only thing is there's only one pot to scrape when you're done. :)


If you're willing to give grits a try, let me know what you think. While it may not be South Beach approved like last week's Mushroom Bruschetta Caps, this is COMFORT food at its best.  ENJOY!
 

9 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT:

Leslie said...

Ummm, yum! My husband and I did not like grits until we had some "Southern" grits with shrimp in Alabama a little over a year ago! I will have to try these! Thanks!

Julie_Sanders said...

These would be great with some shrimp tossed on top. So glad Alabama introduced you! :)

Julie Sanders www.comehaveapeace.blogspot.com

Steph said...

hi, i found u through the excellent wife. i actually have a canister of grits in my stockpile, because I got them free at Shoprite. was wondering what to do with them, and actually might give this recipe a try! but, I can't have heavy cream. can I use 2% milk instead? should i use less? i just need a lower fat substitution...if you have any. thanks! looking forward to trying this.

Julie_Sanders said...

I definitely think you can use 2%. In fact, I think I substituted milk once when camping. You might want to use a little less milk. Let me know how it comes out! Those grits have just been waiting for you ;)

Julie Sanders www.comehaveapeace.blogspot.com

Laughwithusblog said...

Oh I have not had grits in eons. I feel some in my near future! :)

Leslie said...

I know, my whole Mom's side is from Alabama, and are grits lovers, but oh my, they just know how to make them in Birmingham!:)

Julie_Sanders said...

Don't hold out, Leslie. Send me that Birmingham grits recipe. ;)

Julie Sanders www.comehaveapeace.blogspot.com

Heidi Pocketbook said...

I've got to print this out for dh. Some Saturday mornings he goes to cook breakfast at and spend time with his mom. He was longing for grits and shrimp on Sunday. I'd never heard of the combination of the two--and now twice in a couple of days!

I'll let you know if he tries these, Julie!

Praying that you seek God's plan for you as you prepare for your gathering.

Julie_Sanders said...

Thank you so much for your prayers, and I hope the grits are a hit! ;)

Julie Sanders www.comehaveapeace.blogspot.com