Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The Headache of Rebuke

I admit I wasn't thankful for the rebuke when I was laying in bed with a heating pad over my head Monday night. But once the fog lifted, I remembered the words of Proverbs 3, "do not despise the LORD’s discipline, and do not resent his rebuke" (v.11). I had even just returned from a few rare and wonderful days of refreshment with a friend. Fit 4Faith didn't feel very good that afternoon. After nearly 3 weeks of passing my thoughts through the sieve of the question "How to honor God with my body?" why did I feel so rotten? 
 

When my fog passed, the Lord began to point me to some of the reasons I didn't feel so "Fit" that day. I wanted to just blame it on the pollen and the weather, but I know it was more ...

  • Drink ... I had 2 cups of coffee in the morning and rushed past my water bottle and on to the meetings and schedule of the day. I skipped breakfast. And when I spent time with the Living Water that morning, it was in a fast gulp, instead of a calm, slow flow.
  • Read ... Check. I read from God's Word and thought about His truth ... a little. Didn't I know that if I had to catch up from being out of town and solve a huge problem for our upcoming retreat that I would need to do more than choke down some nuggets of truth? I needed to slow down, fill up, and digest it peacefully.
  • Move ... At first glance, this wasn't a problem. I was MOVING! Fast and furious. I had a lot to do (Women's Retreat is less than 2 weeks away) and a few hours to do it, while Jacob was at the co-op. But I moved without considering "How to honor God with my body?" I moved past lunch. I moved past taking a deep breath. I moved past going for a short walk to relax, pray, and think. I accomplished a lot, but I didn't move to honor God with my body. I just moved.
  • Rest ... Some days are extra busy, and there isn't exactly time to put your feet up or enjoy the tulips. I got to do some extra of that over the weekend :) Can't expect that every day! But as I attacked the problems of the day, I wasn't "resting" in Jesus. I was working hard "with Him," and He wanted me to rest in Him, to cast my cares on Him and rest in Him. The stress I felt because of how "un-fit" I did the day surely added to my mega-headache physically.

If only I would've asked "the question" and obeyed by taking time to "drink, read, move, and rest" in Jesus.

"Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and keep it!" (Luke 11:28)

By Monday night I was able to make a quick dinner, help with some Geometry, and climb in bed with my heating pad. I wasn't Fit 4 much Faith, yet the week ahead is FULL of opportunities. If I'm to serve the Lord when He calls me, I can't forget about asking how to honor Him with my body. 


Every headache isn't a result of forgetting to honor God with our bodies, but I know I would have less if I yield my physical self to Him. I also know I will be more fit for my faith, if I do. I appreciate your prayers for me this week and next as I pull together final things for our women's retreat April 8 & 9. There's much to do between now and then, and my family has needs of their own.  This is a time when I need to be Fit 4Faith.

How are you doing asking "How to honor God with my body today?" And how are you doing with "doing" it?

4 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT:

Nancy Martinez said...

Hi Julie my friend! Your blog today soooo resonates with me. I am a migraine sufferer - but - I am going to keep your great tips in mind because perhaps those are the reasons for my headaches... (especially since the doctors are clueless with my diagnosis!) Maybe God is telling me to slow down, cast my cares on Him and such. I'm getting lots of good ideas especially too since I've been watching the Made to Crave webcasts! Thanks again Julie for being open and honest and I will keep you in my prayers for your womens retreat :)

Julie_Sanders said...

So glad to hear that you're watching the webcasts and being blessed by Lysa. We're all striving to bring our body into submission to be what God desires, aren't we? Sometimes I know things like a horrible headache can be my "signal" that I need to slow down and take care of my physical tent. Blessings to you, Nancy!

Julie Sanders www.comehaveapeace.blogspot.com

Mary said...

Exactly what I needed to read tonight! We have had a lot of late nights this week & I haven't been taking care of my body like I should. Thanks for the wake up call :). - Mary

Julie_Sanders said...

Sometimes we need that "wake up call" to get in bed on time. ;) I so hear you!

Julie Sanders www.comehaveapeace.blogspot.com