Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Tasty Tuesday ... Day 4 Biscuits

You can really make these biscuits on the same day you make the dough, but I'm calling them "Day 4 Biscuits," because they really are BEST on the 4th day of chilling in the fridge. Not sure why ... they just are. :) 

The original recipe came from "Angel Biscuits" in my 30 yr old Barcroft Bible Church cookbook.  Still an awesome way to make biscuits! When I made them for my family last night, there was a lot of "Mmm...Oooh...Yum...Wow..."  to be heard. :) 

Angel Biscuits

5 c. flour
3 T. sugar
1 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
3 t. baking powder
3/4 c. softened butter (plus a little for smearing on tops)
2 c. buttermilk (I only had plain, so I added 2 T. vinegar to 2 c. milk = buttermilk!)
1 T. yeast dissolved in 1/2 c. warm water

Mix dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Cut in softened butter to look crumbly. Prepare the yeast/water and buttermilk. Add the liquid ingredients at the same time.  Mix well; I use a wooden spoon, since amazing biscuit dough is heavy. Cover and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled. Here's where you can make biscuits that night, make some now and later, or just wait until Day 4 and be amazed at what an awesome biscuit maker you are. :) 

Roll or pat out (I love to pat dough) until it's about 3/4 inch thick.  I don't like thin biscuits, so don't go crazy with the rolling or patting. Use a drinking cup/glass to cut out biscuits about 2 inches wide. Place in a greased (or sprayed) pan, touching.  I used a glass pie pan for a "full of biscuits" effect.  Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes, until they're golden brown on top. The dough can be kept up to a week. This makes about 2 dozen biscuits, depending on size.

Top these babies with butter or honey or jam or gravy or a scrambled egg and bacon.  This is winter comfort food at its best.  We enjoyed ours with a bowl of turkey veggie soup from the last of the New Year's week turkey.

1 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT:

Lisa said...

I've been looking for a recipe for Angel Biscuits and it looks like this is the one I want. I'll be making these tomorrow night for sure.