Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Tasty Tuesdays ~ Candy Cane Blossoms

This is the legendary Sandtart!
We have favorite family cookie recipes that we make every year (aka "the necessary cookies"). The foundational Sanders cookie is the German Sandtart. We consume large quantities of these buttery cookies that Jeff brought with him from his family history.


I'm always open to discovering new recipes; I found one this year that will be a "keeper." It's a fudgy shortbread cookie; I added chopped white chocolate to add a little color. Tonight we're hosting our neighborhood Christmas party, and I'll serve some of these new cookies. I'll try to share that recipe soon. The party is a wonderful way to have neighbors into our home and to nurture some community around us. (Thanks to our neighborhood HOA for $upporting the gathering!) Wonder what I'm serving?  This year I decided to go with the "simple, but lots of it" approach.  Thanks to my good friend, Sam, ;) we are able to pull it off without losing our Christmas spirit. Do you ever wonder what to make for a party?  This is the menu as of blog post time:
Tonight's Party Menu
  • Mini croissant sandwiches (some with honey ham, some with chicken salad)
  • Variety of cheeses with pita rounds
  • Veggie tray with broccoli, yellow grape tomatoes, carrots, and Parmesan Ranch dip
  • Creme Cheese with Red Pepper Jelly 
  • Spiced Nuts
  • Mini cupcakes (Made by Kiddieconfectionary)
  • Chocolate covered fudge cakes
  • Shortbread cookies (Pecan rolled with craisins & Fudge with white chocolate)
  • And despite what my mom says ... :) I'm still debating trying to whip up some creme puffs before party time.
  • To drink we'll have coffee and Peppermint Stick Punch.
Tonight's Focus

Most of all, we find hospitality isn't about having the "right" food or the "right" decorations, but about receiving people with Christ's love. I'm praying the Lord will help us to serve our neighbors in this season of remembering how Jesus "made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men" (Phil. 2:7).  Serving IS the tradition of Christmas!

Last Year's New Cookie

 Last year I found a new (to me) cookie recipe for Candy Cane Blossoms (I shared the recipe last year here). One batch was rolled in red sugar (in the pic) and in another I made 2 colors of dough and swirled them together, Dr. Seuss-style.  :) Much more fun that way!  These were a great hit when we had friends over last year. We also used some regular chocolate kisses on top. These cookies are beautiful and yummy.


Tomorrow ...

I hope you're also being inspired to be creative with what you have this Christmas.Tomorrow I'll post a picture of my garland of fresh greenery ... a product of inspiration and using what's on hand ... ok, and a lot of wire and patience. :)  And tomorrow we'll also start 3 weeks of reflecting on how to have a meaningful Christmas season.

Happy Tasty Tuesday!

1 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT:

Chrissy said...

Good luck and many prayers for a successful party this evening. I always get stressed out when hosting and planning a party, so I will pray that you only feel peace and fellowship. It sounds like a fun opportunity to share your home!