Wednesday, December 15, 2010

I hate my hair

I know you can relate. You get a new haircut, and it's not what you had in mind. I came home last week with "one of those," and Jeff asked me the loaded question, "How do you like it?" 

"I hate my hair," I answered.  My wise man said little, but I could see in his eyes, "Julie ... really, it's just hair."  When he spoke, he gave a gentle, "It's cute. It'll grow back."  But I had already seen that "It's just hair" look, and I knew he was right. Now I'm thinking the Lord allowed the rotten style just in time to remind me of what's SIGNIFICANT at Christmas. To know what's significant, sometimes we just need to remember what's NOT. 

Today my Scripture Dig teammate, Stephanie, gives a list of 25 Tips for a Christ Centered Christmas.  Making it more significant often just means pushing aside (or not embracing at all) things that aren't important. There are moments in the Christmas season when I think my brain is in neutral, and I walk through my favorite store as a background track plays in my mind: "You need these new things. You should do this if you love your family. If you were festive you would wear this."  The Holy Spirit sends a family member, an outrageous price tag, a strong cup o' coffee, or a needy person to shake me back to reality and remind me what IS significant.

One of the best ways I know to have a significant Christmas season is to serve. We spend so much time planning how to get gifts for "us" and how to dress "us" and how to make "us" feel festive, but we can easily forget the whole foundation of Christmas.

Jesus came in total humble service. Look at what it says here in Philippians. He was more than a baby in a manger; He was a SERVANT.  We know He wants us to pass on the gift of serving:

John 13:13-15

“You call me ‘Teacher’ and ‘Lord,’ and rightly so, for that is what I am. Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet. I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you.

Mark 9:35

Sitting down, Jesus called the Twelve and said, “Anyone who wants to be first must be the very last, and the servant of all.”

With images of shepherds and magi and drummer boys in our heads at this time of year, we don't need to be lost in wonder about how we can please our Jesus. He has told us that He wants us to do as He did, to serve.

You'll find some great ideas from Stephanie today on how to serve others at Christmas time. I find that when I take time to ask the Lord to show me who I can serve, He brings someone across my path. He also prompts me to see what's INSIGNIFICANT, so there's room to serve.  Gotta run ... He has answered my prayer even this morning!

Praying your Christmas season is significant as you reach out to those around you! Has He already shown you someone you can serve today?  Tomorrow, another way to make your season SIGNIFICANT.  

1 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT:

Heidipocketbook said...

For the last seventeen years, I've gone to the same stylist exclusively and have never been disappointed. I had plenty of disappointments prior to that--ack! I'll fully admit I enjoy having a good hair day, however if it's a bad hair day due to "user error" or my roots showing, I put things in perspective and remind myself that I even *have* hair. Not all of my friends do or have in the past, due to chemo. Initially, I couldn't understand why they didn't have a wig glued to their respective heads 24/7, but instead have learned to laugh along with them as well as cry. I hope if I'm ever in that situation, I can be bold like them...bold for Christ as well as the attitude of "Oh well, it's just hair".

I am excited as I learned about a young family over the weekend who is needing help and am putting together practical ideas on how to help them--not just for Christmas but over the coming months.

Christmas Blessings to you and yours, Julie.