Thursday, October 14, 2010

UFD ~ Dumping my dumps

Why is it that when we're discouraged, we don't want people to "throw Bible verses at us?"  But sometimes when my perspective is crooked, a Bible verse is exactly what I need. Just like when I'm famished I need to eat, or when I'm thirsty I need a cup of coffee (just kidding!), or when I'm worn out I need rest. When my heart is dark, it needs the light of the Truth, and when my mind has wandered, it needs the Lamp for my feet and the Light for my path (Psalm 119:104-106).

It's time to shine a beautiful, and maybe familiar, beam of light onto the dumps of discouragement. I'm praying today that this passage will fall on your heart in a fresh and new way, like it's the first time.  If discouragement usually comes from being weighed down by earthly things, (Phil. 3:18-19) then we need a divine way to off load the heaviness.

Philippians 4:6-7
 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
  • We're commanded not to be anxious about anything. We're given something to do INSTEAD.
  • Instead, "present your requests to God" by prayer & petition with thanks; apply this to everything.  
  • Result: something beyond our understanding, God's peace, will be like a sentry over our heart and mind because of Jesus' power. 

When you find yourself in the dumps, don't you wish you could "dump them?"  We can. But you can't just dump burdens without replacing the hole left behind. We have to replace it by talking about it and trusting it to God, thanking Him for the power of His Son that makes it possible to come Up From the Dumps.

When our son started a bank account, we taught him the valuable lesson of making deposits versus making withdrawals. We don't want to be overdrawn.  That creates a deficit.  Allowing the dumps to rule and take up residence in our hearts will leave a hole that can only be filled by making a deposit to compensate for the deficit.  Anxiety leaves a deficit. If you find yourself living in the red, with a deficit of peace, I pray today that you'll make a deposit and give God your burdens through prayer, asking Him to feed your trust in Him.

"And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
What are you doing today to make a deposit of peace into your life?

1 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT:

Mary Joy said...

Excellent way of explaining that Scripture! I love it! I have been working on putting more deposits in by learning to memorize Scripture. Its a new practice for me...I didn't grow up around this. But I am really starting to get into it...and to studying what the Scripture means. I am also working on journaling during my quiet time to help me really process what God is saying to my heart while I read His Word. It has been a real blessing and I am coming out of the dumps more and more everyday! God bless you for this series! Its one of my favorites...and this verse in on my list to memorize! So key to peace!