Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Tasty Tuesday ... Farmers Market Season

What's in season at your local farmers market? We recently enjoyed a great morning at our local market, and I just have to share few glimpses of the colors, flavors, and tastes. Buying local produce not only supports our community, but it makes it more likely that the food is full of pure flavor that has not diminished by extended transport, etc.



The atmosphere at our local market is nothing short of fun! Our dog even loves to go. ;) Jeff and I enjoyed cups of individually brewed coffee, and then we each picked out a breakfast item at a bakery tent. I was really glad I chose a bacon-cheddar-scallion scone, but I happily traded for a bite of my daughter's blueberry cream cheese scone. Can I just say WOW!?!? There was a "deal" so we brought home a maple-walnut-oatmeal scone that was nothing short of inspired. Oh, and there were vegetables .... :) And fruit and meat and dairy products and honey....


I purchased a pint of fresh milk that was deeeelish, and we brought home a bag of local peaches that made for a perfect summer evening treat. Right now there are all kinds of greens, herbs, potatoes, squashes, and tomatoes at our market ... just to name a few items.


A friend gave me a bunch of fresh beets, and since Jeff loves pickled beets .... I did a little Googling and thoroughly enjoyed the process of making my very own, lovely, delicious (can you tell I'm excited) pickled beets!!! You can see the recipe I used here. The color was so rich and bright ... beautiful in a jar.

My favorite market is open every Wednesday morning and Saturday morning. Here's a website I like for using your fresh produce. Do you have a market? What's being harvested?

4 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT:

Courtney (Women Living Well) said...

I love our farmer's market! We just moved to a new home and there's one just 2 minutes away on Thursday nights! So exciting!
Courtney

Unknown said...

This inspires me, Julie! We've got a small market that sets up on Wednesdays and I haven't checked it out yet. Your post has provided the necessary motivation! Looking forward to the 'goodies' I can find! God bless! :)

Warren Baldwin said...

Hi Julie. Just stopping in to say "hi." My blogging will be very sporadic through the summer. Hope all is going well with you guys.

Kristi Stephens said...

I love the farmer's market!! I went this past Saturday morning for the first time this year - nothing beats a salad made w/ fresh veggies and homemade ranch dressing. :)

I also stopped at the bakery tent and brought home some fresh-made glazed donuts... the family heartily approved. :)