Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Tasty Tuesday ~ QUICK Pickled PEACHES

Everything naturally spoils all on its own, without help. Yesterday on Marriage Mondays we thought about a Guaranteed Gift to keep your marriage (& the marriages around you) from spoiling. Tomorrow I want to share more about that, as well as another exciting thought about "preserving" good things. This week is just turning out to be a lot about preserving ... NO connection to my increase in gray hair! ;)

Part of the problem with pickling is that it can take a looooong time and involve sealing mason jars and things like that, so today I thought I would share a QUICK and EASY way to pickle something unique. Years ago people used vinegar in pickling, not only for the flavor, but to preserve foods that would otherwise spoil. While we lived in Asia, I learned that favorite foods of the culture were prepared in vinegar, since many people don't have refrigeration. Put this recipe on the table TONIGHT for a different but delicious side dish. This is adapted from "Virginia Hospitality," one of my tried and true cookbook fav's.


QUICK Pickled PEACHES

  • 2 lg cans of peaches (halves or slices)...yes, storebought is ok, & I think they were 29 oz. cans.
  • 1/2 c. brown sugar
  • 1/3 c. apple cider vinegar
  • 2 sticks of cinnamon (use 3 if you love cinnamon)
  • 2 tsp. whole cloves

Drain the peaces into a medium saucepan, and add the 4 other ingredients. Simmer 5 minutes. Put the peaches into clean jars (I reused spaghetti sauce jars). Pour hot syrup over peaces. (I left the cloves in, because it's so beautiful & keeps adding flavor; if you want to strain do so before serving) Refrigerate until ready to serve, and use within a few days. This makes 2 spaghetti sauce sized jars of peaches. You can also do this with pineapple, but I haven't tried it.


A note: an old saying warns "that the flavor of a homemade pickle will take on the personality of the person preparing it." ;)


Tomorrow ... we'll take preservation to a new level. I hope you'll join me!


Thanks to Jen and Lisa for hosting Tasty Tuesday and Tempt My Tummy Tuesday!

3 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT:

Kari said...

This sounds delicious. I will try it:)

Crystal Roberts said...

I will HAVE TO TRY THIS, IT LOOKS DELICIOUS!

Kristi Stephens said...

I think I will have to try this, Julie! I know that NP's mom used to can peaches, but I don't think she pickled them. I'll have to give it a try!