Friday, June 11, 2010

Soggy, Dripping, Camping ...

If you were here on Tuesday for tips for Making Iced Tea, you may be asking, "How was camping?" First words that come to mind ... soggy, dripping, thunder ... awesome, fantastic, relaxing! :) So glad we went, but seriously thinking about picketing the local weather team. (Just kidding) "Pop up showers" turned out to be downpours the majority of the day, soaking everything we didn't get under the tarp, everything squeezed under the tarp, and everyone who ran from the pop up to the bath house. Even the dog had the good sense to beg his way in and make himself comfy in my sleeping bag. If this sounds like your worst nightmare, let me tell you why it was so awesome.

Sometimes I need heavy rain to stop me in my tracks, make me still, drown out the noise, and give me permission to just be with my loved ones. Once the friends "escaped" and went back to civilization, J&J and I (and the dog) spent most of the day in the camper, with the exception of a short dry spell in which the kids tubed the river & I made supper. My hubby was working and couldn't come down 'til after dark, so it was just the 3 of us. We played games, read out loud, read alone, laughed, & talked about things we never have time to talk about (Like if you could've picked your name, what would you have called yourself ;) ). Since I had my laptop along for a little writing, Jo and I watched a movie of the life of Christ from Mary's perspective; since the rain was so loud, we shared a set of earbuds so we could hear = closeness. :) We were "STUCK" together. It was good ... really.


And as I watched the rain fall like the acts of a play, I thought about how I need the living water of God's Word constantly pouring into my life and heart. I need to infuse my mind with its truth, let it soak in, and then pour some more. Sometimes I need "heavy rain" to make me stop, be still, drown out the noise, and remind me of what's most precious. God's Word is that heavy rain.


I could see the water running on the ground, soaking into the soil when the rain let up. Ultimately, the sound of the nearby stream grew louder as the water accumulated and found its way to the river. God designed the slopes of the mountains around us so all the water runs together and flows to where people can use it. It's just like God's Word that soaking in, promoting growth, or flowing to where people can get their thirst quenched. As God's Word flows freely, His Spirit gives guidance and strength and comfort. The "sword of the Spirit is the Word of God," Eph. 6:17.

John 7:37-38

... "If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him."

In a dry window of time on Wednesday I went out to do a little damage control, bumping the stakes of a canopy I discovered was FULL of water, when it poured out all at once, splattering mud all over me. God wants us to soak up His truth and let it drip out from us in our words and attitudes and decisions and behaviors, bringing refreshment and encouragement and life to those in the path of our stream.


Package of hot dogs for kids and friends? $5 Inner tube for river? $10 Refilling of my spirit so I have something to "drip"? Priceless. :)


And in case you're wondering, the last of our soggy things have dried out. Stop back tomorrow for my list of "crazy questions" to talk about when you're trapped in a tent or cabin or condo (or just at home!) on a rainy day. :)

6 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT:

Chaos Cottage said...

God knew what he was doing when he sent the rain.

Julie@comehaveapeace said...

So very true. It's just not always our first thought to see the good part of heavy rain when it comes. He knew it was just what we needed ...

Cindy Bultema said...

Dear Julie ~
I love, love, love how you are able to pull spiritual applications out of any and every life circumstance! Wow! And thank you for an awesome post! Lots to think on today!
I'll be back tomorrow to check out your questions. I'm also wondering if there are any pics from the mud splattering moment??
Have a GREAT weekend, friend.
Cindy :)

Julie@comehaveapeace said...

Unfortunately it was not caught on camera ;), but I assure you that I would not have won any beauty pageants for my "external" appearance by the time it was all over. :)

Melanie said...

Sounds like you made memories.

Kristi Stephens said...

I often think about talking with you years ago as you nursed your neck that seemed to be rebelling from stress. :) You commented that God sometimes forces us to slow down... I have thought of that so many times when "life" interrupts my plans. Sometimes we need those interruptions to really recharge in unexpected ways!

So, I'm glad for you that you had a rainy stormy camping trip! ;)