Friday, June 18, 2010

Friday Family Fun

My friend Cindy over at She Sparkles shared an amazing list today of "Family Fun from A to Z," and she really does cover the whole alphabet! She didn't give in to temptation to skip X or Z. :) It's a fun list and perfect for you if you are feeling disappointed by how you're using summer so far or if you're feeling like you need some together time on a dime. None of her ideas cost more than $5.


In the spirit of Cindy's ideas, I am going to offer my own and link up to her Friday Family Fun day. This coming week, we are combining SIX of Cindy's ideas (Whew! Can you say "Take your vitamins and get some real coffee?") into one fantastic family getaway!

We are going camping to see/catch fireflies that light up in a synchronized pattern (I am NOT kidding ... read about it here). It only happens a few places in the world for a few weeks at a time, and one of them happens to be about an hour away. We will eat picnic dinners, sing around the campfire with friends, and play games (like Dutch Blitz and Signs) that include all ages. We will definitely be having nature walks and loving some quiet time. We will be "unplugged" and relatively "unclean", but we will have a ball. :)


Just this morning I was reading about Moses the "camper." That's right. The one in Exodus.

Exodus 33:7-11

Now Moses used to take a tent and pitch it outside the camp some distance away, calling it the "tent of meeting." Anyone inquiring of the LORD would go to the tent of meeting outside the camp. And whenever Moses went out to the tent, all the people rose and stood at the entrances to their tents, watching Moses until he entered the tent. As Moses went into the tent, the pillar of cloud would come down and stay at the entrance, while the LORD spoke with Moses. Whenever the people saw the pillar of cloud standing at the entrance to the tent, they all stood and worshiped, each at the entrance to his tent. The LORD would speak to Moses face to face, as a man speaks with his friend. Then Moses would return to the camp, but his young aide Joshua son of Nun did not leave the tent.


Does that not make you want to go camping? Get away some distance, so you can have some time to meet with the Lord. Can't wait!

Hmmmm ... I'm feeling inspired already. I think for Tasty Tuesday next week I'll post a camping recipe. :) Maybe for Marriage Mondays I'll post "how to pack a camper together and not be grouchy!" :) Just kidding. Really. :) I hope you're enjoying some of the freedom of summer and making time to get away and enjoy the quiet.

Blessings,

3 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT:

Missy said...

Camping sounds wonderful! Lighting bugs are one of my favorite childhood memories.

Now, I'm going to check out the family fun ideas. Thanks for sharing.

Blessings~
Missy

Unknown said...

Sounds like you and your family will have a wonderful time! I must say I never thought of Moses as a 'camper,' but you're absolutely right! Love the idea of getting away to spend time with the Lord! Have a truly blessed time!

In response to your comment over @ Life Lessons: I appreciate the book recommendation. It'll go on my summer reading list! Working toward the quiet and rest for the weekend. Blessings to you, my sister!

Crystal Roberts said...

Will definitely check those ideas out, and camping, this is the second blog post I have read about that. Now I want to go. I will be looking forward to that recipe!