Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Tasty Tuesday ~ Vanilla Custard Cupcakes

This past weekend we signed up to be the snack gals for both our adult small group and my daughter's student small group, so it takes a special recipe to fit the bill for both. I found this great new recipe a few weeks ago in the April Southern Living magazine, and I tweaked it a little for my family's taste buds. We made a bunch of these, and they were a hit. We're calling our version ...


Vanilla Custard Cupcakes

Make the custard filling first. This REALLY isn't hard; just follow the directions. My 15 yr old daughter did it, but you could also substitute french vanilla pudding if you're in a pinch or cooking confidence crisis. Then ... while the custard (or pudding) is chillin', make the cupcakes. For this, just make a batch of French Vanilla cupcakes from a box. I used Duncan Hines.


Scoop out the centers of the cupcakes to make a little "well" that has an edge around and under it. Here is where we discovered that warm little cupcakes holes are the most delicious snack we have discovered ... wow! And ... I don't think that just eating the "centers" really count as eating cupcakes!!!! :) That's a bonus.


I piped the custard into the cupcakes, but if you're a neat cook (right ... ) you could spoon the custard into the middles. I did all this the night before and covered them with plastic wrap in the fridge.

Before serving, put strawberriess on top (I did 3 pcs per cupcake), and chill (the cupcakes AND you) til ready to serve. These were beautiful and yummy and light. I think they'd be excellent for any spring/summer event, and they would be perfect for a bridal or baby shower ... or for me sitting on the porch in the evening. :)

"Really Not Tricky Custard Sauce"

In a medium saucepan, whisk (yes a real whisk) these ingredients together over medium heat, whisking constantly (don't stop ... you'll be so sorry):

  • 2 1/2 c. milk
  • 3/4 c. sugar
  • 1/3 c. flour
  • 2 egg yolks

By whisking for 10-12 minutes until it starts to thicken up to tomato soup consistency you are working off calories for the warm cupcake tops you are going to not resist. After the custard is like tomato soup, take it off the heat and stir in 2 t. vanilla extract. Put the custard in the fridge to chill while you make the cupcakes. This should make 2 dozen.

This would be a wonderful treat to have ready when you and your man get home in the evening, in case you read yesterday's "Marriage Mondays: Welcome Home" post. ;) Participating in Tempt My Tummy Tuesday. Cupcake blessings to you!

7 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT:

Jackie said...

Oh my gosh...these look delicious! Your step by step directions make it look easy to prepare. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Might give them a try for Mother's Day.

Kristi Stephens said...

YUM!!!

...I bet these would be awesome w/ lemon custard, too!

Anonymous said...

That is so pretty! I'm wondering if it's messy when you take a bite? Very tempting :-) JLC

Becca said...

Yummers!

Chaos Cottage said...

What a nice spring dessert. This would be wonderful for a tea.

Pam

Unknown said...

These look so pretty and would be beautiful for a spring luncheon. I think I might try them with a lemon curd filling. Have you ever tried that?

Theresa said...

What a beautiful cupcake! Now I'm hungry. :)