Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Tasty Tuesday ~ Herb Butter Balls

Happy Tasty Tuesday, and thanks to Jen for hosting Tasty Tuesday and Lisa for hosting Tempt My Tummy Tuesday!

So here they are ... the butter balls I enticed you with last week! You can also use basil, thyme, oregano, mint, or rosemary, but I think chives are perfect this way. They make a lovely presentation and add so much when served with a warm yeast roll, foccacia, french bread, bread sticks, crackers, or croissants.


Start with a softened stick of butter and a small bunch of fresh herbs (about 4 inches of chives). Rinse and dry the herbs; pinch the bunch together and use kitchen scissors to snip them over the soft butter.

Gently stir chopped herbs into the butter until thoroughly combined.









Put the butter into the fridge to chill for about an hour, until firm. (I got anxious and stuck it in the freezer = still works) Use a melon baller (I like to dip it in hot water first) to scoop the butter balls out "ice cream style."









I like to put these on a small plate with a fresh herb clipping or blossom for a pretty presentation, or serve them individually on old fashioned butter pat dishes at each plate. This adds a fresh and gourmet taste!

Beautiful! And if you have leftover butter balls, toss them in with scrambled eggs, mix into vegetables as you saute, or drop them as a dollop onto a steak, chicken breast, or fish filet. It's like first grade all over again, only gourmet ... scissors, play-do, tiny dishes ;) This absolutely inspires my creativity. Have fun!



7 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT:

Kristi Stephens said...

I love this!! What a simple and beautiful idea!

Melinda said...

These look so fancy and so delicious! Yum!

Brenda said...

Those are so pretty, and I bet they add a lot to a table

Sherri said...

So fancy! Thanks for dropping by my blog. Let me know if you try the Trifle. Your blog is BEAUTIFUL!

annies home said...

what a special way to dress up a table

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Hi Julie. Those herb butter balls would make the most basic slice of bread a special occasion! Sorry I haven't been by in a while. The move and unpacking have gotten the best of me. Thanks for sharing your recipe and linking to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.

Jackie said...

What a great idea! Looks very elegant!