Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Tasty Tuesday ~ Birthday Pizza

So simple and yet so absolutely ... controlling. This recipe is hard to resist and looks so FUN! I speak from experience when I say no one outgrows this cookie cake. Yes, kids love it, but middle schoolers, high schoolers, college kids, and adults love this treat and have been known to smuggle pieces home in their jackets ... yes, the adults. :)

I first got this from a sweet 1st grade student of mine in 1993 when her mama brought it in for her special day and then shared the secret. They called it "Nestle Candy Shop Pizza," and so here I will give you and show you our favorite version. We call ours "Birthday Pizza."

Soften 1 1/4 STICKS of butter or margarine (I confess. I use the butter. I am helpless.)

Add: 1/2 c. sugar, 1/2 c. brown sugar, and 1 t. vanilla.

Mix well. Add one egg and combine.

Add: 1 1/2 c. flour, 1/2 t. baking soda, and 1/2 t. salt.

Toss in about 1/2 cup of chocolate chips. Don't get reckless and add more ... this is going to overcome you as it is.

Spread the cookie dough (I wet my hands so it doesn't stick) onto a round pan, and (don't ignore this) push it near the edge, but leave a border. If you STILL ignore me ;) then your dough will bake out over the sides, fall onto the oven bottom, and you will be forced to scoop it out and just eat the wasted cookie shapes yourself before anyone sees. You will recover and do it on purpose next time. :)

Bake it for 20 minutes (not too brown) at 375 degrees.

When it comes out of the oven (with your help), immediately drop some blobs of peanut butter around the cookie, and sprinkle about 1 cup of chocolate chips around (not shown here ... I forgot here, so it is "sans" the chocolate swirl). Let it stand about 5 minutes, and then gently spread it around to a gooey, wonderful, rich, shiny topping. If you have a peanut allergy, just use icing instead, but don't skip the chocolate.

Decorate the cookie with candy. You an use bits of Butterfingers, Crunch bars, Goobers, or Raisinets ... but we love plain old M&Ms most and really just use that. You'll see some giant ones in the picture ... ? Leftover "speckled M&Ms" from Easter. :) I believe in using what's on hand.

Don't try too hard to resist a warm piece, but it's also perfection when served at room temp. Like last week's Scioto Hills PB Bars, have a jug of milk or pot of coffee on hand. Once you made it, celebration will follow! Speaking of which, happy birthday to my sweet hubby today!


This amazing Birthday Pizza is linked today to Tasty Tuesday, Tuesdays at the Table and Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.

8 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT:

Kristi Stephens said...

YUM!!! [And happy birthday, Jeff!]

Sarah said...

oh my! this looks so good! may have to give this a try...looks like a fun last-day-of-school recipe :)

Unknown said...

This cookie cake looks amazing!! Too bad I'm following the Belly Fat Cure which only allows me 14 grams of sugar/day...I think one bite might be an option!! Have a blessed day, Julie!

Unknown said...

What a fun idea! Love your blog title! Come link to Tuesday Tastes! I would love to have you!

www.crazyjayzplace@blogspot.com

Happy Day,
Jasey @ Crazy Daisy

Joshlin said...

I loved your PB bars last week. Will and I even made them and I posted about it today with a link back to you! This looks like another great one I will HAVE to try!!!

I really like your tasky Tuesday posts!!

Thanks for sharing Julie!

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness!!! I would definitely be sneaking some home in MY pocket!! That looks so yummy! Can't wait to try it!! Thanks for sharing! Thanks also for adding my button to your blog! It's such a compliment! I'm glad to be getting to know you better through the blogosphere! =)

annies home said...

looks delicious happy birthday to him

Unknown said...

Oh! My! That looks delicious!!!