Thursday, April 8, 2010

Detritus and Life

In so many ways it resembled a typical Sanders getaway .... Jeff and Jo were up before sunrise to discover what few would, I snuggled deep in my sleeping bag until my bladder & longing for fresh coffee forced me up, and Jacob slept late as he nursed a "trip injury" (sprained ankle this time). I listened to the symphony of low country birds and waking campers mixed with the sound of a sleeping boy. When my adventurers returned from their dawn beachwalk, the treasures they displayed convinced me to leave my thick red sleeping bag and coffee press behind the next morning. Who doesn't want to be the one to discover a rare treasure? But it requires a little discomfort, a little sacrifice (ok ... I took coffee along, but it was EARLY).

So on our final morning we two, Jo and I, awakened and rushed out in layers of sweatshirts and fleece to ward off early beach wind chill, armed with a camera and plastic Target bag. The sky glowed rose and salmon like a great hand had brushed a cheek. As we warmed we left seven or eight walkers behind to where the shore curved and foam formed a curl around the far edge of the sand as the tide came in. But before it reclaimed the sand, we walked where no one had walked that day, and we found ourselves drawn to the lines of DETRITUS. Detritus is that organic material churned up by the tide and waves and by the same great hand that colored the morning sky and pulled up the sun. As the tides pour water onto the sand, detritus is left behind as a potpourri of all that is dredged up. The tide had been strong during the night as we slept in our puffy bags, and evidence was strewn all over the shore.


With each step along the water's edge and among the detritus, treasures were revealed to us. It seems the more tumultuous the tide, the more beauty is lifted out of the depths.

James 1:2-4

Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.


Just as life's trials are sometimes strong and even violent, the same hand that paints the sky and turns the tide night after night reveals greater beauty from the force. Somehow, the fragile and unexpected treasures we find upon our shores take our breath away and give us new appreciation for the strong tides and currents that make us feel like we are likely to be swept away. Out of the conflict comes treasures, and that makes enduring the currents worth it.

Romans 5:3-4

Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; 4perseverance, character; and character, hope.

The funny thing about detritus is that you don't see the treasures until the current has stilled and the tide has given way, but we filled out white plastic bag with treasures few walkers ever approached. Let's be encouraged by God's creation and by His Word that He can reveal something beautiful once the detritus settles. Not sure? I found that walking along the path He set for the waves and putting my head down helped me to see what He left there for us to discover.

Isaiah 43:2

When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you.


Let's "bow" our heads and pray ~

Lord,

Life's current can seem so violent and like I can't overcome it. Sometimes I feel overwhelmed by it and I need something to hold on to. I want to hold on to You and Your promises. I trust you that You can bring something good out of my hardships and pain, and I pray that you will help me see the treasures You have for me to discover as I walk with You.

4 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT:

Daughter of the KING said...

Beautiful post. Thank you

Heidi Pocketbook said...

Amen. A very timely post for me.

Warren Baldwin said...

Great post.

Eos Mom said...

Amen.