Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Tasty Tuesday ~Blueberry Pie in a Crockpot

Getting a recipe from a friend always makes it better. My sweet friend Tara went blueberry picking with us last summer, and we had so much fun. I've seen some great blueberries in the stores lately, and they are a treat that can go a long way, packed with anti-oxidants. Favorite ways to use fresh blueberries:

  • over granola
  • with yogurt
  • in a smoothie (Jo made a mango/blueberry smoothie this weekend - yum! See how to cut a mango here.)
  • in muffins
  • in a coffee cake
  • in a green salad (yes, really ... they're great!)
  • just raw to pop in your mouth
  • in this recipe I'm about to share with you ;)
Tara shared this Blueberry "Pie" recipe with me recently; it is easy to make in a crockpot and is perfect for a chilly night when you think it should feel like spring. Takes me back to summer days and the berry farm... ahhhh.








Blueberry Pie in a Crockpot

1 20 oz can blueberry pie filling
1/2 cup margarine at room temp (Tara says: "couldn't do it, had to use real butter". This is one of many reasons I like her.)
1 yellow cake mix

1 cup fresh blueberries
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (Ok - Tara thinks walnuts taste like dirt :) so we suggest pecans. They taste like pecans. ;)

Place the blueberry pie filling in the bottom
of the crock pot. Mix the cake mix and butter together and sprinkle over the pie filling. Put the fresh blueberries on top with the chopped nuts. (Tara sprinkles a little cinnamon on top too).

Cook on high for 2 1/2 - 3 hours.



Add whipped cream on top or a little vanilla ice cream, and you have something worth sneaking downstairs for ... or taking to your small group. That sounds so much more hospitable, and that's good too.

Happy Tasty Tuesday and thanks to Jen of Balancing Beauty and Bedlam for hosting and to Lisa of Blessed with Grace for hosting Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.

9 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT:

Jessica Griz said...

Oh my! Yum, yum, double yum! :) Will be making this sometime for sure!!!

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

Oh, yum! I had no idea about making a blueberry pie in the crockpot! How cool!

Jennifer said...

I woke up craving blueberry pie this morning and pulled out my recipe to see what ingredients I need to buy...Now that I've read this recipe I want to make this one and give it a try...sound YUMMY!!!!
Thanks for sharing. I found you through Tempt My Tummy Tuesday

Unknown said...

Sounds amazingly delicious! Blueberries are one of my favorite fruit, along with strawberries, mango, apples, bananas...ok, you get the point. Anything with fruit in it is a hit with me!! Blessings!

MrsJenB said...

Um, are you kidding me?? I literally have a deep relationship with my crock pot and this recipe speaks straight to my heart. Thank you SO MUCH for this! It sounds amazing!

MrsJenB said...

Um, are you kidding me? I have a deep, personal relationship with my crock pot, so this recipe speaks straight to my heart. Looks AMAZING! Thanks for sharing!!!

Anonymous said...

You just wrote about my 2 favorite things! Pie and Crockpots!!! I am totally trying this recipe this weekend!!!

Brenda said...

I've been waiting all my life for this recipe, a delicious dessert you can make in the crock pot. Perfect!

Unknown said...

This sounds awesome!