Thursday, March 11, 2010

Getting Over Stuff to Get to Our Guests

Yesterday we thought about why we should invite people into our homes. A lot of things keep people ("other people" ... not us, right?) from opening their homes to strangers or even to people they know. We can say: "My house is too small; My house is too drab; My house is too dirty; My house is too far out in the country; My house is too much in town..."

In her book A Life that Says Welcome, Karen Ehman writes about the years when they had a teeny place to call home. It's a great book from first to last page (even better 'cuz I read it poolside), but here's a quote about how to think about the adequacy of what we have to offer:

"...the most important thing you need to display in your home isn't a new piece of furniture or a big screen TV; it is the love of Christ. I firmly believe what made my friend fond of our home was the love of God she sensed when she was there. It couldn't have been the spacious living area or fancy decor, because we had neither! It was the love she sensed as she saw us serve each other and willingly open our place to her, even though I felt a big embarrassed by its size." ~ p.96

So in the spirit of having people into our homes where the "real us" lives, I thought I would do a "Don't do this, do that" list for today. Does any of this sound familiar?

Don't worry over the decor and wait for Extreme Home Makeover to arrive ...

Do tidy up what you have and make God's love the mark of the atmosphere where you live.

Don't worry that you don't have Food Network appetizers, entrees, and desserts ...

Do make food simple, affordable, colorful, and seasonal.

Don't worry about being funny & entertaining to make guests glad they came ...

Do be yourself, ask good questions, and share your life with your guests.

Don't worry about having the new technology or activities to wow your friends ...

Do play a game, talk to each other, and look at pictures from your real life.

Don't worry about serving correctly or knowing exactly what to do ...

Do make your guests comfortable, with simple preparations that say, "Relax. We're becoming friends ... maybe even family."

Who's coming to your house this week?

4 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT:

Teri Lynne Underwood said...

Great thoughts, Julie. Thank you. I especially loved the "Do" about asking questions. Have you read this article by Michael Hyatt about good dinner conversation? http://michaelhyatt.com/2010/02/how-to-have-better-dinner-conversations.html

I think you would like it as well.

Julie@comehaveapeace said...

Teri Lynne, thanks for sending me to the article on Dinner Conversations. It's excellent and really puts some great tips into an easy to "digest" format. ;)

Anonymous said...

Great post Julie! Your message really hit home with me. So many times I will avoid having guests over because I worry about what my house looks like. I have to remember that I am not out to impress anyone- I need to get back to the true meaning of hospitality. I will be reading the book that you mentioned. Thanks for your wonderful insight. God Bless!

Julie@comehaveapeace said...

A great fix for worrying about what the house looks like ... turn down the lights and light a few candles. :) It's freeing, too, so we enjoy our guests and love them.