Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Does God know when we ask Why?

Earlier this morning my "Why" post posted but not finished, and it just left the word "Why" on the screen. At first I thought it was funny when I realized what happened, but then I thought maybe it was very profound ... not "me" being profound, but just asking "Why" in life. I keep a list of "Why's," but we could all make an endless lists of the why's we ask throughout life. If you read my "Why" on its own, did you wonder what else came after it? Maybe you filled in the blank with your own why.


This morning I spent time reflecting on the experience of the Israelites and their 400 years in slavery. 400 years is a loooong time. They must've felt abandoned by God, forgotten, of little value, even despised. They must surely have asked, "Why?"


But then God told them He saw their pain and heard their cry, and He intervened. He sent a deliverer to lead them out of Egypt. Moses felt inadequate, but God did great things to demonstrate His authority. The more power God showed, the more the Egyptians made God's people suffer. I'm sure they asked "Why" then, too. Pharaoh wanted to know who this God thought He was and by what authority He demanded release of His very productive slave population. I guess Pharaoh was really asking "Why" too. God saw and heard them, and He answered them all.

Exodus 3:7

The LORD said, "I have indeed seen the misery of my people in Egypt. I have heard them crying out because of their slave drivers, and I am concerned about their suffering.


In my study I answered the question of how I might've felt if I was an Israelite, finally leaving the land of my captivity, to go to a beautiful land of promise. I'm embarassed to say the first word that came to my mind was, "Finally." I don't like to wait long, and I really don't like to feel like I'm being ignored. Ignore me for 400 years, and I'm guessing I would probably not just overflow with words of gratitude. I think I would've fit in with the crowd passing through monuments built by their blood, sweat, and tears.


But God DID hear their cries. He DID always see their pain. He DID care about their slavery. And it was a part of His plan to purify and restore them to Himself, just like He works out plans in my life and yours to purify us and bring us close to Him. I'm sure moms of that epic journey out of Egypt reminded their children often that when we wonder if God knows we ask "Why" and if He cares that we ask "Why," we can be certain that He does, and He cares.


How would you finish "Why _______________" today?




6 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT:

Cindy Bultema said...

Dear Julie ~
Is everything ok?? I, too, have wondered WHY in my life ~ typically at very difficult points on my journey. Do you find yourself there today?? I am praying for you!!
Please share more when you can ~ as you feel appropriate. You are not alone!
In His Great Love,
Cindy :)

Erin said...

Why not me.
Why not now.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

This is a really thought provoking post. I to have asked this question many times! Most recently it has been Why are so many people in my family dying? But while I may be left to grieve, I do believe that God has a master plan and I trust in His wisdom. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Warren Baldwin said...

I agree. I don't think God is bothered by our anguished questions. I think he understands and even empathizes. That's why Jesus came.

We discussed this in Bible class last week. One lady, handicapped from a wreck, honestly believes we should never ask why, just accept whatever comes and know God will use it for good somehow. I told her I admired her faith, but didn't know if I had her measure of it yet.

I think we can ask why, esp when asked in the context of tenacious faith. Good post.

Unknown said...

Oh WOW I am really going though the WHY ME God??? So many things are happening and I know everything will work out in the end. Sometimes is is hard not to ask why.