Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Tasty Tuesday ~ ZUCCHINI Simply Delish

After posting sinfully delicious Mt. Dew Dumplings last week, I thought I should post something really healthy today! :) It's the kind of recipe I love .... no measuring, just using very simple ingredients to keep food pure.

In the winter it can be hard to find good looking fruits and vegetables. Instead of making a menu including ever item and going to shop with that as my list, winter is a good time to go see what looks good and is economical, then showcase that. Last week zucchini was not only on sale, but it looked great in quality, so I brought home a bag full. As a general rule, the darker the vegetable, the more nutrition is packed inside. I feel really good about feeding my family a pan full of fresh zucchini. It's not only low in calories, but it's a good source of Vitamin A. My fam will be so strong, energetic, and smart after eating this side dish that they can clean up the kitchen and do the dishes in the most efficient way possible ... a great way to end a meal!


ZUCCHINI Simply Delish

I started with four zucchinis about 9 in. each, washed and dried. I cut off the tops, then sliced each lengthwise, starting on the SIDE, not the center. This gave me long, thin slices that I cut in half.



I sprayed a glass 11x13 pan with non-stick spray and layered the zucchini in rows.


I drizzled extra virgin olive oil over the zucchini, sprinkled black pepper and sea salt (a little more robust than regular), and popped it into the oven at 350 degrees for about 35 - 40 minutes, until fork tender.


About 10 minutes before it was finished, I sprinkled some feta cheese over the top. The feta takes it from good to great.

All of my family loves zucchini this way ... simple and delicious.


I used this zucchini dish to complement spaghetti and garlic toasted buns. We had brownies with low fat ;) ice cream for dessert ... hey, we had company.

I'm participating in Tasty Tuesday and Tempt My Tummy Tuesday today, thanks to Jen and Lisa!

8 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT:

Kristen said...

Looks tasty!

Alison @ Hospitality Haven said...

YUM!!!! I love zucchini. What a great way to cook it!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Chaos Cottage said...

I grew zucchini in my little garden by my driveway last year. It was so easy and so good. I am going to plant more this year.

Pam

SnoWhite said...

wow -- that looks wonderful!

Brenda said...

I bet the feta does make the zucchini a lot better. This looks yummy. I bet it would be good with spagetti sauce on it.

Windthicket Fables said...

Ohhhh, this is SOOO on the menu for next week! My whole family EVEN MY KIDS LOVE zucchini! Thanks for the recipe!

Melanie said...

I'm making this tonight! Melanie