Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Tasty Tuesday ~ Applesauce Tea Bread

Just the other day I asked myself, "New neighbors, tired friend, little time ... what to bake?"

Yes! This is such a quick recipe and easy to make, but so satisfying and nice to give. We love it as a side with supper or beside a cooked breakfast. Serve it with a little honey butter (1/4 c. butter softened with about 1 T. honey mixed in) or smear some soft cream cheese in between two pieces, and you've kicked it up a notch to something you'd have at a tearoom. I doubled my batch to make extra. It freezes great or splits into mini loaves or muffins really well.


Applesauce Tea Bread

Bake one loaf at 350 degrees for an hour, or split into muffin tins and bake about 25 min.

Mix:

  • 1 c. sugar
  • 1 c. applesauce
  • 1/4 c. oil
  • 2 eggs
  • 3 T. milk

Add:

  • 2 c. flour
  • 1/2 t. salt
  • 1 t. baking powder
  • 1 t. baking soda
  • 1/2 t. nutmeg
  • 1/2 t. cinnamon

Mix well and pour into a loaf pan (or muffin pan) you have sprayed with non-stick spray. Bake until the center doesn't "jiggle," but springs back when you lightly (that means don't push your thumb in) touch the center. I also like to stick a toothpick in to see if any unbaked batter sticks to it ... if it does, pop it in for another 5 minutes and try again. Remove from the oven and allow it to cool off of the hot surface for about 15 min, give or take time having a cup of coffee, and then carefully remove. I do this by slipping a knife around the edges first, then inverting onto a plate. Then, unless it's going to a friend, I don't wait any longer. I cut myself a slice, tell the dog "Absolutely not!" and sit down to enjoy a piece. ;) And as I do, it usually gives me a little "peace" at the same time.

I hope you'll enjoy and that this warm loaf will speak love to your friends and family and neighbors ... but not your dog. ;)

Thanks to Jen and Lisa for hosting Tasty Tuesday and Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.

And in case you are need of a little encouragement to be sweet to your sweetie, scroll to yesterday's Marriage Mondays post to read my list of books, leave a comment with your fav, and be entered to win a copy of Lysa TerKeurst's Capture His Heart and Capture Her Heart.

6 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT:

Melanie said...

I have a great idea ... I'll send you my marriage books...and you send me some of this bread! Just kidding but it looks great and if you send me your mailing address, I'd love to send you my books. I like that we have this partnership going on! Have you heard of Proverbs 31 Ministries She Speaks conference? YOu might want to check it out!

Chaos Cottage said...

Sounds delish. Must add to my recipes to make soon, maybe for a small group night.

Pam

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

This bread looks great! Thanks for linking your post to TMTT.

annies home said...

I love homemade bread this recipe sounds wonderful

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

This looks delish! :D