Monday, December 14, 2009

What to do with Christmas Cards?

It's sort of a painful joy ... doing Christmas cards. ;) I LOVE to get them from friends far and near, but it seems like I feel pressed when WE need to get ours out every December. I always have great intentions to do them in October but .... well, I got 1/2way through this afternoon. :) I had in on my planner in October and kept "bumping it" as I was short on time. Funny thing ... I never just had a free day to do nothing that was screaming, "Do your Christmas letter!"


But what do you do when you get pictures and cards and letters? Do they end up in a black hole on the corner of your counter, somewhere between bread crumbs and bills? How do you keep sweet glimpses of loved ones, so you can enjoy them or, better yet, return their kindness with the gift of prayers and love? I've tried multiple approaches:

  • hanging around the doorway
  • using tiny clothespins to clip cards to a black grosgrain ribbon draped on windows
  • standing cards up around the house
  • tucked in the boughs of the Christmas tree
  • peeking out of pockets on a wall hanging
  • putting in a basket to pull out for regular table prayer


I'd love to hear your ideas. Let me share my favorite, though, that makes cards a way to love your loved ones all year long. I bought a simple red photo album and put a cut-out from a favorite Christmas card in the front "window". It was very inexpensive at Hobby Lobby. This type of album has pockets to easily slip in photos or cards. I put cards in the pages along with scripture verses I like to keep before me all year. If a card needs to be trimmed to fit, I just trim off the excess. When "people don't fit," I keep them in the front of the book.


Sometimes I keep this book on our table to remind us to open often & pray for our friends, family, and missionaries or to prompt us to call or write. Other times, I keep it in my kitchen cabinet so I can take it out and linger over pictures and pray.


Proverbs 25:25 (NIV)

Like cold water to a weary soul is good news from a distant land.


This week some people (I hope more than are on the table now ... ) will open a letter from the Sanders family (last year card, this year letter), and I expect we will get an influx of cards about Dec. 23rd on through New Year's. It's the time of year when we fight over who gets to go to the mailbox! I can't wait to put them in my book so it becomes another visual testament of God's faithful provision in our lives.


Before you get the mail tomorrow ask yourself, "What meaningful way can I keep my cards?"


6 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT:

Joshlin said...

Julie, I just wanted to tell you Thank You. You have helped me on my journey to become closer to God. I did a piece on it at my blog. You and your great blog are mentioned.

http://asavingmomssanity.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-journey.html

Denise said...

I have always wanted to do something more with the cards we received at Christmas. I love the idea of a scrapbook of cards kept throughout the year.

I think I have found a way to do more -

Thanks!
Shalom,
Denise

Sanders said...

What a fantastic Idea! I will have to check out Hobby Lobby for a book for our family, such a great way to include prayers for others into your day!

Warren Baldwin said...

Prov 25:25 is a great verse to use in the context of this post. Sometimes a Christmas card is the only contact with have with some old friends, so it is nice to get good news from them.

Anonymous said...

Great ideas Julie. Gotta love Hobby Lobby!! Thankfully it's not too close to my house. I might be tempted to go too often. (-:

Take Care,

Brook

Bridgette said...

I love this idea! The last few years I have been cutting the pictures out and hanging them on my fridge, then I replace them with the next year's pictures. I love the photo album idea though!