Wednesday, November 11, 2009

What's on your nightstand?

It seems like it gets dark so early now! My mom always said that "nothing good happens after ten o'clock at night" when we wanted to be out late. Now I feel like I must be doing all sorts of "bad things" since it's so dark so early! Things like ... shopping for groceries, picking up kids at soccer, going to Bible Study, meeting friends for dinner, homework ... You know, bad things like that. :)

When it's dark earlier, it can be easy to fall into the "dinner on the couch and then meditate on the technology god" routine IF you don't have something readily at hand to steer yourself elsewhere. Look here to see what Ephesians 5 says about how important it is to use our time well, not to just "let life happen." What are your favorite things to do on these dark evenings? Would love to hear them, if you click on "comments" below and leave your idea.

A while back a blog friend, Cindy, shared what books are on her nightstand, and I think that's a great way to spend early evenings in. Two others of my friends, Courtney and Kristi, regularly review books of all types, and their insights are great motivators to pick up good reads and to know what's out there.

So today, to spare you from going out and doing "bad things" in the dark :) I thought I'd share what's on my nightstand ... minus the dust. Maybe you'll be inspired!

  • Rome and Jerusalem by Martin Goodman
  • Restored by Neil T. Anderson
  • How They Found Christ by Bill Freeman
  • A Great and Godly Adventure by Godfrey Hodgson
  • Knoxville Secret History by Jack Neely
  • Capture His Heart by Lysa TerKeurst
  • Your Boy by Vicki Courtney
  • Martha Daughter of Virginia by Marguerite Vance (1947, so don't wonder why it's hard to find :) )

Would love to hear about what you're doing after dark. ;)


7 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT:

Anonymous said...

This blog is such a breath of fresh air! Thank you for doing these daily posts!

Julie@comehaveapeace said...

Thank you for your sweet encouragement, Amanda. THAT's a breath of fresh air. :)

Kristi_runwatch said...

Oh, your reading list sounds lovely!!!!!!

I've currently been trying to work my way through MacArthur and David Jeremiah's commentaries on Revelation. Light. :) It's taking me FOREVER, not surprisingly. I need to pick up some more "fun" reading!!

Thank you for the encouragement to use my evenings in a productive manner... you're so right that technology can become so consuming, especially when it's dark out.

Anonymous said...

Jul, what's "Martha, Daughter of Virginia?" It sounds like historical fiction??? Lately my night reading has been very unproductive - early darkness makes for early tiredness in me :(
Love ya, Jenny C.

Julie@comehaveapeace said...

Jen, "Martha" is the story of Martha Washington's life before she met George, and I found it in a used bookshop near the Blue Ridge Parkway in Meadows of Dan. It's an oldie, but in great condition, beautiful pictures, and fascinating. Very interesting reading.

Kristi, if you're reading Revelation ... you don't have "forever." :)

Anonymous said...

Love to read book or blogs or play games with my kids,also go walking yes even in the cold dark..

Erika

Jacquie @ Joy Made Full said...

My kids are 6, 5, 3, & 23mo. I just introduced the oldest three to double 15 dominoes, so we've been playing that in the evenings before bed. It's been great for counting!

I'm glad I found your blog on MBC!