Thursday, November 12, 2009

Back in the Chair

Here it is November 12, and I'm already forgetting to start every post with an expression of THANKS giving this month! Reflecting on Veterans Day yesterday, I am so thankful for those who have been prepared to sacrifice their lives for others & those who have ... for me, without even knowing me! There are so many here at home in the US, even now, who are sacrificing. I am thankful.

Yesterday I shared what's on my nightstand, since dark winter evenings tend to drag me to "defaults" that can be time wasters, if I'm not careful. Several people sent in great thoughts through comments or email. Every year I have this hibernation response when it gets dark early. Do you know how that feels? Without even trying, old habits or patterns in our lives can just creep up and suck us backward into our "default places" in life... even when it's not dark out.

Our dog Trace is five, and he has an overabundance of affection to share. When he looks up at me, his eyes are full of trust and loyalty and love (Jeff says this is just a scam to get treats). It's hard to believe he wouldn't obey to please me, if given the chance. Sigh.

In our living room, we have a very comfy wing back chair next to a window (enjoying it as I write), a great spot to loaf. Thing is ... Trace isn't supposed to be in this chair, and he has been trained not to get in it. A quick command of "OFF", and he plops down in guilt, slinking away to a sunspot on the floor. His head hangs low, and he glances back as if he feels so bad and won't do it again. But then I go away, and ...

... back in the chair! He wants to be there and seems convinced he is happy there, even though we have provided other places that are better for him, places that will bring our pleasure and rewards. He LOVES rewards. ;) Instead, he seems like he just can't help but sneak into his default spot at the 1st opportunity.

In Matthew 6 Jesus shared a pattern for praying, and He included, "Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil." God doesn't tempt us, but He does provide a way of escape, a way to resist jumping back into our default patterns in life.

1 Cor. 10:13

No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it.

Sometimes we look up to God with our big, trusting eyes that want to say we will obey, to please Him, to follow His commands. But as soon as we turn away, we jump right back into our "chair." I could list my default spots, but then you might compare or be relieved yours isn't on my list ... but I bet there's a chair in your living room, too. ;)

John 14:15

"If you love me, you will obey what I command.

May God help us to do more than give Him looks of love. May He help us obey Him and show it!

Deut. 7:9

Know therefore that the LORD your God is God; he is the faithful God, keeping his covenant of love to a thousand generations of those who love him and keep his commands.

2 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT:

Chaos Cottage said...

Lead me not to temptation, I can find it on my own. LOL

Kristi_runwatch said...

Once again, I love your illustrations! For a while LB was in the habit of doing things he wasn't supposed to, all the while shaking his head "no" so hard that it was almost knocking him over!! It was like watching him strain to choose obedience over temptation- and failing EVERY time.