Monday, November 30, 2009

Tasty Tuesday ~ Butterhorn Rolls

For special holiday meals, I could just make Pillsbury crescent rolls, & I could even make Sister Schubert rolls brushed butter & dusted with cinnamon sugar ... but when I really want to speak "love" through food to my family, homemade butterhorn rolls send the message.

These don't require a lot of time or many ingredients, but the smell of the yeast and the extra muscle to mix and roll the bread helps me to "invest" a little more of myself into a meal that's special, and my family reads the love loud and clear. Put on a vintage apron to get in the spirit. ;)

Refrigerator Butterhorn Rolls (adapted from an old Taste of Home recipe)

  • 1 pkg. active dry yeast or 1 Tablespoon
  • 2 T. warm water (I like to think it's the temperature of water I would brush my teeth with.)
  • 2 c. warm milk (110-115 degrees, about like hot cocoa ignored for 5 minutes :) )
  • 1/2 c. sugar
  • 1 beaten egg
  • 1 t. salt
  • 6 c. flour
  • 3/4 c. melted butter
  1. Dissolve the yeast in the water in a large mixing bowl. Add the milk, egg, sugar and beat well. Mix in 3 c. of flour and the salt. Beat til smooth. Don't knead the dough. It will be sticky, but resist the urge to add more flour ... trust me. :)
  2. Place the dough in a greased bowl, or simply spray cooking spray around the sides of the bowl you used. Cover with plastic wrap that is snug, but not tight. Refrigerate overnight.
  3. Punch down the dough and cut it in half. Flour a surface ( I use a pastry board.) Roll each half into a 12 inch circle. You can use these 2 favorite methods: **Use a round glass to cut circles, brush them with milk, and fold in half about an inch apart on a greased cookie sheet. Reroll scraps to cut again, but try not to overhandle. Cover with a light towel to allow rolls to rise about til double, about an hour. Brush with more melted butter before baking **OR Use a pizza cutter to cut the circle into 12 pie pieces, rolling each from the wide end to the center. Place point side down on a greased cookie sheet about 2 inches apart. Cover to let them rise. Brush with melted butter. (You can wait to butter til after baked.)
  4. Bake for 15 minutes or til light golden brown at 350 degrees.
  5. Yield: 2 dozen crescents or 3-4 dozen folded circles.
Oh, your loved ones will feel extra loved .... but we like to "hide a few" for later, because there will be no leftovers. :)

Participating in Tasty Tuesday and in Tempt My Tummy Tuesday today!

3 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT:

Anonymous said...

OK, I've been lucky enough to eat these amazing rolls and they are truly the BEST ever . . . I'm always depressed when they're gone! Julie is an awesome roll baker. Love, your sister :-)

Cindy Bultema said...

Wow ~ those look delicious! And you make it sound easy. Perhaps I'll be adventurous and give them a try. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for sharing!!
P.S. Love your apron! :)

Julie@comehaveapeace said...

They ARE delicious, and I think that the apron adds something to the recipe. :)