Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Tasty Tuesday ~ 5 Treat Trail Mix

Time has been at a premium here for the past few weeks, with lots of planned for and unexpected demands on our time. I keep imagining myself making some delicious homemade cookies, but in a time pinch, I decided it was probably more realistic to make a 5 Treat Trail Mix. It was a hit!

As you'll see there's not a magic formula, but this combo worked GREAT for us! If you're in a time crunch, this might be the perfect "sweet substitute" to fit into your busy day and make your friends and family happy. :) Makes a good lunch treat or trip snack for a weekend away. It's both salty and sweet.

5 Treat Trail Mix

Combine 1 1/2 cups of each of these 5 ingredients:

  • - Candy Corn (or "indian" corn that has 1 brown stripe)
  • - Dry roasted peanuts (Nut allergy? See substitution ideas)
  • - M&Ms (the fall colors are great)
  • - Raisins
  • - General Mills Honey Roasted Chex cereal (Gluten free & DELICIOUS cereal)

Mix all 5 ingredients and stir gently. Looks colorful as an eatable centerpiece in a glass jar or bowl. One of those great "conversation" starting snacks, as we all sit around & eat a scoop. This is a perfect snack to serve at a party in individual cups or muffin liners. Check out guests' allergies before serving, and substitute as needed.

Other ideas of ingredients: chocolate or white choc. chips, sunflower seeds, corn nuts, pretzels, mini marshmallows, or Kix cereal.

Do you have an ingredient that's a winner in a Trail Mix combo?

Find more recipe ideas by linking to Tasty Tuesday or Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.


8 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT:

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

Ooh, I bet my kids would love this!

~ Kristie said...

Looks yummy! I bet craisins would be a good alternative to ordinary raisins.

Cindy Bultema said...

I was sold as soon as I saw the picture! What a fun, fall treat! My kids will love it! Thanks for sharing!!! :)

Unknown said...

What a GREAT!!! trail mix for halloween.
Geri

Unknown said...

I use dried cranberries and dried blueberries, peanut butter chips, butterscotch chips and dark chocolate chips...just depends on my mood:) Thanks for sharing. I would love for you to join in Crock Pot Wednesdays at Dining With Debbie. Come share a favorite and leave with some new ones. Come check it out.

*Mirage* said...

Mmm that sounds good! I can't have peanuts for some reason but I'll bet hazel nuts would be delicious in there...

Anonymous said...

Oh, I like easy. If I do this recipe, I'll be the one picking out all the candy corn. LOVE that stuff! - LeAnn Hilemon

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Oh you yummy! Hubby LOVES candy corn. Woo hoo! Thanks!