Thursday, October 22, 2009

Scarves Beyond Us

Last week while we were away for a couple of days in the mountains, Jo and I found "Schoolhouse Fabrics" in an old, 3 story schoolhouse in Floyd, Virginia. In a corner of what was once a classroom, we found a beautiful yarn that was just asking for my creative daughter to turn it into something special. This past summer, the two of us carefully followed instructions in a book about crocheting to learn some basic stitches. I was building on a few sessions with a patient friend who has since moved away. My small project was crammed back into my bag when we got home, and my short lived crocheting career produced little to show for my high hopes. Jo, on the other hand, has definitely been "hooked." :) (Could NOT resist that.)

She worked away as we sat in our cozy mountain cottage, as we rode along the Blue Ridge Parkway, and then when she had free time back in classes this week. The result? This beautiful, multi-colored scarf that she presented to me!

When my own mom asked how she learned to make such a lovely piece, JoHanna said, "My mom taught me." My mother laughed and laughed ... knowing that I not only have LIMITED crochet ability, but I don't spend much time at it (maybe there's a connection). The truth is: My pupil has surpassed me. I love that. I feel the same way about those I have had the joy of influencing spiritually, including my daughter.

"I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth," 3 John 1:4.

This verse is talking about spiritual children. Isn't it wonderful when we pass along what we know, even if it's limited and we find ourselves needing to grow, and then we see our "disciples" move beyond where we took them? That's a great investment.

It's quite a responsibility to have been taught by another, to have been the recipient of wisdom or skill that was passed on. We are entrusted with the hopes of others. I pray that those who have influenced me will see that I grew beyond where they took me. I want them to be overjoyed with the scarves that come from my life.

I pray that I will be a good steward of what God has given me, to pass it on to new people, to entrust it to others, so that they can surpass me.

"The things which you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses, entrust these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also," 2 Tim. 2:2.

Who inspired you to "make a scarf" in your life, and who are you inspiring to make something beautiful?


5 COMMENTS ~ Click here to leave a COMMENT:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful scarf! I know you are so proud of your children. They are a wonderful reflection of their parents.

Marge said...

Very pretty! Her stitches look really even. The yarn is beautiful. And, I'm sure it was relaxing to crochet.

Chaos Cottage said...

Marge planted the seed! You watered! Maybe your dd can give lessons now!

Pam

Missy said...

beautiful scarf!

Heidi Pocketbook said...

What a beautiful scarf Jo blessed you with, and a wonderful story behind it.